When should I be able to walk my dog after breast augmentation?

I'm making arrangements for recovery after breast augmentation and I'd like to know approximately how long after the procedure I'd be able to walk my 15-lb dog. I'm planning on having silicone submuscular, if that affects anything. Thanks!

Walking your dog after breast augmentation

This really depends on the size/weight of your dog. If you have a 5 pound chihuahua you will be able to start walking him sooner than you can resume walking a 70 pound lab! But with that said, you should wait at least 3 - 4 weeks to walk your 15 pound dog again to avoid any possible risks. Please speak with your surgeon about this in person so you can tell him how big your dog is and get a more personalized recommendation for how long you should wait to walk your dog after surgery. Good luck!

Post-Op Breast Augmentation

Healing varies from patient to patient. I recommend my patients avoid exercising for 3-4 weeks post breast augmentation. You can usually resume light daily activities after a day or two. Driving may normally be resumed after a week. Always follow your surgeon’s post-op instructions.   #drrodrohrich#plasticsurgery#breastaugmentation      

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Activity Post Breast Augmentation

Hello and thank you for your question regarding activity/walking your dog after having breast augmentation surgery. Generally you will have to avoid any and all activities involving the breast area/muscles post op. But the length of time will depend greatly on the size and type of your dog and also the temperament of your dog.Good luck to you as you prepare for your procedure!

Michael K. Obeng, MD, FACS

When can I walk my dog

Best to wait several weeks if you had a submuscular breast augmentation as the pull on the muscle may displace the implant.  I would suggest about 3 weeks.

Christopher Costanzo, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Depends...

This depends on the temperament of your dog and how rapidly you heal from your surgery. I would suggest waiting three weeks before walking your dog to prevent any potential incidents. Please ask your plastic surgeon for their opinion as well.

Norman M. Rowe, MD

If your dog can be unruly or pulls frequently at the leash then I would wait 2-3 weeks before walking the dog.  Of course you should get the opinion of your plastic surgeon.

BA Recovery

Thank you for your question, and I wish you a speedy recovery. It is best to discuss with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon his/her specific recommendations as far as return to activity. The recovery after BA surgery varies widely from patient to patient as well as their level of discomfort during this time. Generally, the first 4-7 days are reserved for rest and overall recovery, and after that patients can slowly work their way back with gradual low risk activities. I prefer to wait at least 6-8 weeks for repetitive upper body lifting/movements and arm use so that the muscles, skin incisions and breast tissues have had adequate time to heal and settle before being stressed. The recovery routine will best be determined by your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon so be sure to touch base with him/her on their specific recommendations.

Benjamin J. Cousins MD

Benjamin J. Cousins, MD
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

Walking Your Dog After your Breast Surgery

As I recommend to my patients, you should avoid heavy lifting and strenuous #activity for six weeks following your #BreastSurgery. You may, however, do normal activities at any time if they cause no pain or #discomfort. Let your body tell you what you can or cannot do. Aerobic exercise will raise your blood pressure, which could cause late bleeding and harm your result. Once you begin exercising again, start gently and let your body tell you what it can tolerate. Don’t rush!! It may require the full 6 weeks before you can do any upper body work-outs, yoga, etc.
If you have concerns about your healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined.

All docs are different here. I tell my patients they can not lift more than about 20 pounds for 6 weeks. Dogs can generate some serious torque on a leash. So I would stay away from that for at least a month because you can bleed inside the breast pocket not to mention other problems with the implant overall. 

Sincerely, 

DrRickAZ

Richard J. Brown, MD

When May I Walk Dog after Breast Augmentation? #breastaugmentation

• My patients walk their dogs by one week after their breast augmentations, and they have not negatively impacted their final results in any way. 
  • You will still be sore one week after your breast augmentation, but you'll be fine walking your small canine companion!
  • One of my breast augmentation patients is a dog trainer, and she went back to work training dogs one week after her breast augmentation!  She did just fine.
  • Thanks for sharing!