Is it possible a slight double bubble will correct itself when breastfeeding is stopped?

I had breast augmentation last year in April and then found out I was pregnant in August. I just had my second son this past April and am now breastfeeding him. I didn't have any deformities while pregnant, but now with breastfeeding I have noticed a mild double bubble on my left breast. Is it possible once I stop breastfeeding this will correct itself?

I have found that pregnancy and the breast feeding time frame are "pot luck" time. That is, just about anything can happen. You can get big and stay big, get big and shrink to nothing, stay the same, enlarge and little and shrink to nothing...pick your combination. It is best to wait until breast feeding is stopped for 4-6 months (some will say longer) and reevaluate the situation. It is possible that your slight "double bubble" will go away, especially if the relative enlargement is due to breast tissue engorgement, but if the "double bubble" is due to recently developed skin laxity in the front of your breast (this is not uncommon) and your breast size goes down, it will even get worse. You would then need a breast lift (a skin envelope reduction procedure). It is best to have an evaluation in person with a board certified plastic surgeon. I wish you the best.

Greenville Plastic Surgeon

Double bubble during breast feeding, will it go away?

Hi Allision,

Thanks for your question. It is quite possible that the slight double bubble will go away. But it may not. It just depends on how your breast tissue shrinks. There is no substitution for an in person exam. Even if you see your surgeon currently, they themselves do not know what your breast will do when the milk production stops. It will certainly be a wait and see approach. Be patient and continue taking care of your son. Remember, regardless of what your breast ends up looking like, it can be corrected! Good Luck!

Carlos Mata MD, MBA, FACS
@breastaugmentation @docmata #drcarlosmata

Carlos Mata, MD, MBA, FACS

Despite good intentions, online consultants will not be able to provide you (in any responsible fashion) with specific enough advise to be truly helpful. Given your concerns, you'll be best off seeking follow-up with your plastic surgeon, earlier that already scheduled if necessary, for in person evaluation.

Mel T. Ortega, MD

Breast feeding double bubble

If you had no double bubble before breast feeding I think it will probably resolve when you stop. However, breast feeding will cause some changes to your breast and they will like look different than before. Good luck.

Scott W. Vann, MD, FACS
Savannah Plastic Surgeon

Breast Feeding & Implants

Thank you for your question. As others have said it is difficult to determine what your situation is without an exam or at least photos. Changes to the breasts during breastfeeding can be temporary. More permanent changes and implant malposition can also occur. You will need to make an appointment to see your Plastic Surgeon in person for assessment when you are ready.

All the best

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Slight double bubble when breastfeeding.

Unfortunately we don't have enough information to go on and this is something we have not seen. Perhaps the engorged breast with breast feeding is filling out the breast and "sitting" slightly on top of the implant. Time will tell as your breast returns to normal.

Double bubble?

I think that you need to post photos first or be seen in present determine what might be the issue. It is difficult to comment without this.

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your second son!  Unfortunately without a series of photographs or an in-person examination it is difficult to offer definite advice.  If your implant has become malpositioned than your double bubble will likely remain but if it developed as a result of your breast enlargement during pregnancy it may resolve once your breasts shrink.  See your plastic surgeon in consultation, they are in the best position to help guide you.

Double bubble - will it go away after breast feeding

Thank you for asking about your breast implants.
  • If the 'double bubble' is the visual effect of breast enlargement and your implants are not below the breast crease, the answer is yes -
  • It should subside once you stop breast feeding.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD