Can anyone tell me about the 8 point lift with Juvederm Voluma? Is this better than just injecting in one area?

If you put small amounts of products in different areas to keep the shape of your face, is this better than say just putting in cheeks for lack of face volume? Also can the filler move from the the position it was placed?

An in person consultation will determine a candidate for an 8 point lift vs treating one area

An in person consultation will determine a candidate for an 8 point lift vs treating one area. The 8 point lift is used for mid aged patients to lift throughout the face.

The product should not migrate from where it has been injected.

The Voluma 8-point lift

The Voluma/Juvederm 8 point lift is an advanced method of facial contouring that refers to 4 Voluma injection sites (V1-V4) for enhancing midface volume and lift, and 4 Juvederm ulta plus or ultra injection sites (J1-J4) in the lower face for polishing and smoothing lines and creases in the nasolabial and perioral areas.

This method works very nicely for most people because it addresses 2 key aspects of facial aging:

1. Midface volume loss- cheek descent and deflation
2. Creases and lines and shadows in the mid and lower face

This balanced approach provides a safe, natural and durable rejuvenation.  With proper injection technique and placement, the fillers do not migrate from the original sites of placement.

Good luck!

Daniel Levy, MD
Bellevue Dermatologic Surgeon

Voluma 8-point Lift for the Cheeks

Thank you for the question. The 8-point lift refers to the recommended 4 anatomical sites in each cheek (2x4 = 8) according to the makers of the product (Allergan). Voluma is a thicker version of the same material that is in Juvederm, and is designed specifically to treat volume loss in the midface/cheek area. However, it can be used in other areas of the face as well (e.g., the temples, the chin, and along the jawline). Each face is a bit different, and filler treatments work best when they are customized for your face and aesthetic goals. In my practice, I often combine different fillers into a program that treats the whole face. For example, I would use Voluma for cheek volume, then Juvederm for the nasolabial folds, and Restylane for the under-eye area (tear troughs).

Evan Ransom, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Injecting Fillers

When injecting filler it is best to keep to a concentrated area to see the improvement you are trying to achieve. For example if I inject Voluma into the cheek area, my patients may require 1 syringe per cheek depending on their volume loss in order to get the best result. If I were to spread 1 syringe all over the face you would not get the lift that you are going for.

When I inject Voluma or any filler I do not inject an entire syringe into one spot, I do inject in the same general area contouring the face for the most natural result. Different fillers are also better suited for specific areas of the face, often time’s patients need a combination of fillers in the cheeks, chin, temples etc. to achieve the best result.

It is possible for fillers to migrate, especially if they are manipulated at home.

It is best to consult with a Board Certified Dermatologist with plenty of experience injecting filler to see what product(s) is best for you.

Nissan Pilest, MD
Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon

Injecting is just about placement for the anatomy of the individual.  No one thing will work for all of the patients.

Juvederm Voluma Cheek Lift

Juvederm Voluma is an excellent product to provide volume and lift to the cheeks. By correcting the volume loss in the cheeks you can also reduce the appearance of smile lines (nasolabial folds) and the hollowness underneath the eyes (tear troughs). You may still need correction in other parts of the face, but you will likely require less product to achieve an optimal correction. Voluma is injected deep into the tissues of the cheek, just above the bone, therefore, the product does not move after it is placed. Injection techniques vary, therefore I wouldn't be too concerned about gimmicky terms like the "8 point lift". More important is that you see a board certified physician who has extensive experience with using Juvederm Voluma. We have had amazing results using this product. You should schedule an in-person consultation and evaluation if you think this product may be right for you. 

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

Lifting with Voluma

The 8 point lift with Voluma refers to four injection points on each cheek, totalling eight, which are placed deep to the skin over the cheek bone, and effectively lifts as well as gives back volume loss to the cheek.  The benefit of the lift in your cheeks is it will diminish nasolabial folds and marionette lines as well.  In addition, with age many of us lose volume in our cheeks, and take on a more square less feminine and less youthful shape to our face.  Adding back the volume to the cheeks will usually bring back a more youthful and feminine heart-shaped face.  This treatment also benefits men with volume loss and prominent nasolabial and marionette lines.  Voluma is very sturdy and does not usually move.  Voluma is too sturdy to put in random places on the face.  It is not meant for superficial injection in the dermis, whereas Perlane, Juvederm, Restylane and Belotero can be used for this purpose.

Karen Stolman, MD
Sandy Dermatologic Surgeon

8 Point Lift w/ Voluma

Hi Gracey.  Generally speaking any kind of catchy technique like the "8 point lift" is a marketing ploy.  Each injector uses multiple injection points and the important part is how skilled your injector is at seeing what you need to improve your appearance and placing the product skillfully in those locations.  

Similarly, we do not believe that Voluma will be worth the additional expense.  The reason is that we already have long lasting fillers for the cheeks (Perlane, Radiesse and Sculptra) that are all cheaper and last just as long or longer than Voluma.  

To see examples of before and after pictures for Radiesse injections in Los Angeles, click on the link below.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD