Is half a syringe of Restylane enough to get noticeable results under the eyes?

I have moderately darker skin under my eyes and always use coverup to fix it. It's like Kim Kardashian's under eyes without her makeup just so you guys have an idea. I really want to fix this and am wondering if a half of a syringe of Restalyne is enough. Help!

Restylane under the eyes

Thank you for your question naz211. There are many treatments for dark circles under the eyes. It is important to use a good eye cream as this can lead to improvement without treatments. For hollowing under the eyes and in the tear trough, fillers work well. I find that Restylane works best here as it provides volume without drawing in too much water and giving a puffy appearance. Each syringe is 1 cc. For a comparison, one teaspoon of water is the equivalent of slightly more than 5 cc. So if one syringe is split on two sides, each area is being treated with less than one tenth of a teaspoon of volume. This is a very conservative amount. But it is a good place to start, as more can always be added at a later date. For my patients I recommend returning two weeks after a treatment to take photographs. This allows us to assess the results and determine if more is needed. The amount needed varies from person to person, depending on their level of Volume loss.

Encino Physician

Under eye Restylane, how much?

It's impossible to answer your specific question about the amount of Restylane needed for your under eyes without looking at them.  Most people require at least one syringe total (one half per side) to see a significant result, but this varies widely. 

With dark skin, you may be experiencing an "accordion effect" where the skin bunches and looks darker because of micro shadows.  Often fillers can help but you may still need to use concealer or BB cream for a complete improvement. 

Caution: the importance of the amount of filler used is secondary to the skill of the injector.

Brett S. Kotlus, MD, MS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Fillers for lower lids

Hello there, it all depends on your examination findings and whether you have volume loss (hollowing) vs fat pockets or both.  Generally, volume loss alone can be improved with hyaluronic acid injectables.  Surgery is indicated when there are visible fat pockets that fillers alone can treat.  I would recommend you to see a skilled plastic surgeon that has expertise in eyelid surgery. Best of luck...

The right amount of filler under the eyes

Hyaluronic acid fillers like Restylane and Juvederm can address the area under the eyes (tear troughs) to improve hollowing and dark appearance.

With proper technique, 0.5 mL of the appropriate filler is a safe amount to use in that area. Too shallow can produce lumps or color change. Too much can produce puffiness. It can be administered by a number of different techniques.

Every patient is different, so the exact amount is determined by your anatomy and the result you desire.

I recommend consulting with a physician who can evaluate you and determine how much filler would be safe for you.

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Amount of Filler Needed for Under Eyes

Generally speaking, a small amount of filler under the eyes is enough to achieve the desired result as it's quite a small area and you certainly want to avoid over doing it, leaving a puffy appearance. An in-person consultation is critical however, as each person is different and your anatomy as well as your concerns and goals may require more or less. The key is to find a skilled and experienced injector who will listen to your concerns and customize a treatment plan that works for you.

Dennis Gross, MD

Dark Circles, Eyelid Wrinkles/Bags Treatment -- Restylane or Belotero with Cannulas, Clear+Brilliant, Eclipse Micropen, Viva

The under eye area can be treated with fillers, lasers, microneedling/PRP for improvement. I would suggest posting photos and consulting with an experienced board certified dermatologist for evaluation. Best, Dr. Emer

Restylane and tear trough

usually 0.5 cc Restylane is sufficient for correction of the tear trough but you need to be sure that you are seeing a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

Small amount of filler under eyes is usually enough

Usually half syringe is enough for under eyes since need to be conservative to avoid overly done and swelling effect. Every one is different. See video below and see an oculoplastic specialist.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Under eye filler

Hi there, Half a syringe should be enough. I would say a typical injection is more or less 0.2cc per side.

The under eye part of the eyes is called the tear trough. It is a very delicate part of the face to inject because of the thin skin. It is easy for filler to show under the skin or for swelling to occur and last a while.

Make sure you go to an experienced injector who can maximize the results with a small amount and minimize the risks of the filler showing.

Good luck!

Myriam Loyo, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

yes that could be ideal...but without examining you it would be impossible to ascertain.  N.B. it injrctor and experience of injector in this area is paramount

Afshin Farzadmehr, MD