Running a mile after lipo?

I signed up to run one mile, but I just realized it would be around a week after my lipo on my abodomen and upper arms. Do you think it'll still be possible? Thanks! Sarah

Exercise can be started 1 week after lipo.

I start my patients walking right away after lipo but I wait 1 week to start exercising and massaging and 2-3 weeks before they do endermology.

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Running after liposuction

Beginning a progressive exercise routine after liposuction is important for recovery. Let your body be your guide. Starting with walking, treadmill at an incline, weight resistance exercises, yoga, or Pilates is great. Any activity that causes bouncing, such as running, should be added as your body feels ready for it. Be sure to wear adequate support with your surgical garment or other supportive athletic wear. Listen to your body!

Kimberly Finder, MD
San Antonio Dermatologic Surgeon

Running after Lipo

If you wear a compression garment and do not have excessive swelling and feel comfortable doing the run then do it. Be sure to elevate your legs after the run.

Fred Suess, MD

Exercise Post Liposuction

I suggest waiting 3-4 weeks before beginning any exercise post liposuction. Please discuss this with your physician. Best, Dr. Emer

Exercise after Lipo

In my opinion the safe answer is to wait 2 weeks before you start to exercise. Walk each day but avoid vigorous activity during the first 2 weeks of healing. It's not the end of the world if you were to run the mile but expect an increase in swelling that may set back your final results. 

Justin Yovino, MD, FACS

Running after liposuction

Make sure to speak with your physician regarding recommendations as far as exercise goes.  In my experience it varies greatly from person to person depending on the amount of fat removed and patient characteristics.  Running can increase swelling and bruising if undertaken too soon in the post-op period.   However, I generally recommend patients increase the workload daily slowly to full potential.  Fit patients tend to recover more quickly.  The most important thing will be to listen to you body and to wear compression.  

Kyle Coleman, MD
New Orleans Dermatologic Surgeon

Liposuction - ok to run a mile a week later?

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.If you were my patient, I would say that walking a mile might be ok, but running a mile is not smart a week after any significant surgery - you will hurt and swell. But the best person to advise you is your own plastic surgeon. Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS