Is it safe to mix Mirvaso with an OTC hydrocortisone cream?

Is this a good way to reduce the redness and irritation some people experience when first applying Mirvaso. Is it safe?

Mirvaso and steroid cream.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Like others, Im not over impressed with Mirvaso. In fact I see more 'rebounds ' from Mirvaso than good experience from this topical, however this is only a viewpoint as I don't prescribe this on a regular basis (due to rebound). Yes, you can mix, but be carful as to not invoke steroid induced rosacea ... be guided by your dermatologist. Steroids can suppress rosacea, but then worsen it, ie. rebound. This is a well known fact. 

Rosacea is very complex and a tailored treatment program give the best results. This is because there are many types of rosacea (telengtctatic or capillaries, flushing and redness, acne like rosacea, ocular rosacea and even rhinophyma rosacea.)

To add to the complexity, everyone has different flare factors- Sunlight, stress, foods, chemical irritants, creams, changes in temperature, alcohol. The list goes on. 

A detailed history, together with a treatment tailored according to YOUR type of rosacea will give the best results. As a guide, I use a combination of -

1. Lasers ( to treat redness, broken capillaries, rhinophyma, flushing)- best laser is the V BEAM. IPL can be used, but usually not as effective. Laser toning using the long pulse Nd Yag at 1064 can help with background redness. 

2. Creams - anti inflammatory

3. Tablets -anti - inflammatory and sometimes low dose Vitamin A. 

4. For females- Mineral make up is recommend, over make up that contains parabens. 

For the best results, consult a dermatologist for both medical and laser treatment options. 

Kind regards.

Dr Davin S. Lim.

Laser Dermatologist.

Brisbane, Australia. 

HCT and mirvaso

I'm not a big fan of Mirvaso.  In my hands, Mirvaso has caused more rebound redness than I care for.  I have had angry patients that did not care for the redness.  With that said, hydrocortisone should not cause any complication if you find benefit using it alongside mirvaso.  To my knowledge, there is no literature on a synergistic effect of the two being used together

Payman Kosari, MD, FAAD
Charlotte Dermatologic Surgeon

Mirvaso

Mirvaso can be mixed with hydrocortisone cream, but you shouldn't really need to do that.  Mirvaso is a topical medication used to treat the redness of rosacea.  Mirvaso is generally well tolerated.  Some patients, especially in the first few weeks of treatment, report experiencing "rebound flushing", which means that, over the day, as the medication is wearing off, flushing can appear to return worse than it was to start with.  This is not entirely the case, since often the patient may have forgotten just how red they were!  However patients sometimes report that they have experienced something along those lines.  Hydrocortisone cream will not help with that issue.  For those able to continue treatment, despite initial flushing or irritation, they find that Mirvaso is well tolerated over time.  Be well!

Estee Williams, MD