How do I prevent 5% minoxidil liquid from crystalizing if I buy in bulk, i.e. 2 or 3 month supply?

Minoxidil crystals

Attempt to keep minoxidil out of heat and away from light.The higher percentage of the minoxidil preparation the more likely it could crystallize.

Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon

Crystallization of minoxidil

FDA approved doses of minoxidil don't crystallize, unless left open or evaporate. If you purchase non FDA approved compounds, crystallization becomes an issue with various compounds.

Stick with FDA approved formulations and this will be a non issue  

Hair Treatment

Thank you for your question. Minoxidil should not crystalize if it is stored for 2-3 months+. Make sure to check the expiration on the bottle as well I suggest you consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hair loss -- PRP, Progesterone, Viviscal, Rogaine, Finesteride, Spironolacton

Buying minoxidil in bulk 2-3 months in advance should not be an issue. You will still be within the expiration date. Best, Dr. Emer

Purchasing minoxidil for 2-3 months in advance

This is not a problem as the shelf life for this drug, if help at room temperatue and unoppened, will last a good year, 

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Thank you for posting your question. Normally, the only time I have seen monoxidil crystalizing  is when it is being compounded through a pharmacy. When being bought in bulk, over the counter you should be fine as long as the medication is not expired and is placed in room-temperature. Hope this helps.

Matt Tahsini, MD
Pasadena Hair Restoration Surgeon