When is the best time of day to take proscar? How much time apart should I take it with 5% minoxidil?

Finasteride/Minoxidil - when to take?

Minoxidil 5% is applied to scalp where hair is thinning twice a day.  Finasteride 1mg is taken once a day orally.The two drugs are mutually exclusive so timing of the finasteride with the minoxidil does not matter.

Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon

Finasteride - when do take

Finasteride can be taken any time of the day. The actual inhibition of 5 alpha reductase enzyme is not so picky - take it every day whenever you like.  You do not need to time your finasteride with minoxidil. The two are completely separate.

Finasteride should be taken 1st thing in the morning. It does not matter if you take it along with minoxidil or separated by hours. The more important thing is to take them both everyday. And minoxidil twice per day on the scalp itself.

William Woessner, MD
New Orleans Hair Restoration Surgeon

Thank you for posting your question. The best time to take Minoxidil would be after showers or washing of the head to make sure your skin is free of any natural oils and such, so it absorbs better. In regards to taking the Finasteride, you can take it either in the morning or at night, as long as you are consistent. Hope this helps.

Matt Tahsini, MD
Pasadena Hair Restoration Surgeon

Minoxidil and Finesteride For Hair Loss

You can do both treatments together. I do my finesteride at night and my minoxidil twice daily.  I find they work better with PRP/progesterone injections.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Starting finasteride

This drug should be started once the diagnosis of genetic balding is evident. Your biggest enemy is the progressive thinning leading to a balding pattern that is not evident at this point in time. The degree of thinning that you are experiencing would suggest that you should see a doctor who most likely will get Bulk Measurements of your hair to determine the degree of the thinning that you are presently having. If the diagnosis is early genetic hair loss (the most common cause of hair loss in young men), then the best treatment would be the drug finasteride which is highly effective in men of your age and may not only stop the hair loss but possibly reverse it. If you are developing a more advanced balding pattern the best test to get will determine the Bulk Measurements of your hair and this will show, over a one-year time frame, how effective the treatment will be. Once you know this information, then you and your doctor need to develop a MASTER PLAN which will define what you need to do over the years to come.

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon