Will my post inflammatory hyper pigmentation (PIH) fade or is it permanent? (Photos)

I had CO2 laser mole removals on 2 flat dark moles. It's been 2 months since my treatment and one of the moles has returned in the form of a very light brown spot. My surgeon told me it was post inflammatory hyper pigmentation and that it should fade withing 6 months. Since meeting with him the spot has gotten darker. Is it realistic to expect the pigment to blend in with my skin within 6 months or is this permanent?

Laser removal of moles ?

Laser removal of moles not a good idea for multiple reasons: 1st, moles can become atypical and cancerous over time; the laser insult not going to help; 2nd) moles can extend through the full thickness skin thus laser cannot remove the entire thing often;
you are likely seeing the effect of this with the mole growing back from remnant cells that could not be eliminated.

Post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation

Don't worry! Your post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation (PIH) will resolve! It would be a good idea to apply sunscreen to the area daily, winter and summer, to lessen the appearance, but expect a number of months for your PIH to resolve.

Daniel Lensink, MD
Redding Oculoplastic Surgeon

Post-Inflammatory Pigment--PRP & Fraxel, Clear + Brilliant, Venus Viva

It may be permanent, but can definitely be improved. I suggest PRP, as its essential for would-healing and post ablative laser like co2.  PRP with other lasers like fraxel/clear + brilliant or venus viva in combination will give you improvement. See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer