Can a person have abdominal etching if they have diastasis recti?

Vaser hi def lipo 4d

I appreciate your question.

Vaser assisted liposuction utilizes ultrasound to emulsify or melt felt prior to removal. It is also used to etch or define the muscles and normal anatomy to enhance the results. I use a specialized technique to remove the deeper fat areas and sculpt the superficial fat, so that one can achieve the goal of having not only a flatter stomach but also a more defined and curvaceous body if wanted. I can use this technique on the arms as well.

I also use the fat removed to graft into the pecs for men or breasts for women as well as into the arms and other areas to further enhance muscle definition.

It can be done if you have diastasis

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.  Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic plastic surgery and high definition body contouring.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Abdominal etching and diastasis recti

Yes abdominal etching and liposuction can be performed with patients with diastasis recti. However, liposuction and etching won't improve your diastasis recti. Diastasis is stretching and the underlying rectus muscle. This is deeper than where the liposuction and etching is performed. The only way to correct diastasis recti would be with a tummy tuck type of access to get to this deeper level.

Regards,

Surjit S. Rai, MD

Surjit S. Rai, MD
Dallas Physician

Abdominal etching and a diastasis recti- how to do it

This is actually a very common question that we here in our practice. Abdominal etching is a very specific and delicate form of liposculpture that we commonly performed when we do body contouring. Abdominal etching is performed by using multiple different types of liposuction to go ahead and not only debulk deep fat, but to remove small amounts of superficial fat around the bony framework, the muscle contours, and the tendinous transcriptions. When this is done meticulously, the patient can expect to obtain a very toned and athletic results and even a sixpack.
The most important thing that a patient should check before receiving this procedure is that they are working with a plastic surgeon that is board-certified by the American Board of plastic surgery. You need someone with this level of training and expertise to get the best possible result.
In patients with a rectus diastasi, it is possible to get a beautiful and toned result, but liposuction or liposculpture alone may not be enough. In a patient with separated abdominal muscles, if they only receive abdominal etching they will have the lines of muscle, but there abdomen will still be bulging and round. To the eye this can look very weird. We call this result the teenage mutant ninja abdomen, because like a mutant ninja turtle they will have the outlines of a sixpack on a big belly. For these patients, in our practice we combine liposculpture with a small or a mini tummy tuck. In a mini tummy tuck the patient can have a 4 inch incision through which we can do a complete muscle repair at the same time. This will accomplish the patient's overall goal of having a sculpted abdomen as well as a tight and flat tummy.

Pat Pazmino, MD, FACS