Pregnancy/weight gain after abdominal etching? (photo)

I have been read that abdominal etching results are "permanent" and I am not sure how true that is or if I believe this. Out of curiosity, what happens to abdominal etching results after a pregnancy or weight gain? Is it similar to the results of tummy tucks after pregnancy? Does the etching return on its own?

VASER Hi Definition Liposuction / Body Contouring with Fat Grafting AFTER WEIGHT CHANGE

The lines created with etching are permanent.  if you gain weight, the fat goes around them and can give a distorted apperance.  Best, Dr. Emer.

6 Pack Etching.....

Yes, 6-Pack Etching is permanent!    I have been performing this procedure for about 13 years now.  I have seen one of my early patients back for another issue about 11 years after his etching.   He looks just as good now as he did right after the surgery!   
Liposuction removes fat cells.  You typically don't make new fat cells.    So, once they are gone from this or any area, they are gone forever.  the results should be permanent as long as you maintain your current weight.  Pregnancy may stretch your muscles or separate your muscles at the midline, but the definition should remain the same as long as your weight remains the same.   DiscoverTheBeauty.com

Abdominal etching

Your abdominal etching results will change after pregnancy or weight gain so should not be considered permanent under all circumstances. Etching results before or after pregnancy should not be considered the same as an abdominoplasy results. An abdominoplasty would have a much better result. During pregnancy the fascia lining your rectus muscles will be stretched out of shape. The skin and muscle may return to normal however the fascia never does. This will create a separation between the muscles called diastasis.
If you gain weight the fat left behind in the abdominal wall after etching will become out of proportion or larger causing a deformity of the abdominal wall. If the weight is lost then the abdominal wall may or may not return to the original etched appearance.
You should consider a consult with a board certified plastic surgeon prior to this or any other cosmetic surgery that you may be thinking about.

Robert G. Aycock, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Pregnancy/weight gain after abdominal etching?

Hi, and thank you for your question.  Abdominal etching or Hi-Def lipo as some call it is permanent. Obviously, best results will remain as long as you maintain your weight but even with some weight gain, you will still see the definition.  

Rigo Mendoza, MD

Permanent Abdominal Etching Results

Abdominal etching involves the permanent removal of fat cells; once fat cells are removed, they are gone and virtually no more are made. It is recommended that you remain stable at your same weight to keep the best possible results, but if you do gain weight, the fat cells remaining will enlarge and the areas where you had fat removed will not enlarge as much. Pregnancy can stretch or separate the abdominal muscles, but the results will not disappear. Best of luck!

Jaime Perez, MD
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Jaime Perez, MD

Permanent Etching

The removal of fat cells is permanent but this does not mean you can't lose your etching or your areas of contour. As there are fat cells still left behind, these will continue to be affected by weight gain and weight loss. As for pregnancy, this effect is not only on fat cells but also on the muscle layers of the abdominal wall. This stretching of the abdominal wall can only be treated by suturing them back together

Sergio Alvarez, MD
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

Abdominal etching

Thank you for your question and photo.  Like other liposuction procedures, abdominal etching removes fat cells from your abdominal region.  However, not all are removed and fat can still be stored in the remaining cells.  Pregnancy can affect the abdomen in terms of stretching the abdominal wall.  The tummy tuck results are much different than those given by abdominal etching.  

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

Abdominal etching procedure - permanent

None of the abdominal etching procedures or liposuction procedures are permanent , if you gain weight or with pregnancy. left behind small fat cells might enlarge and results will wear away if you gain weight. But it is easy to bring back the packs , if you work out for few weeks.