Best option to increase forward projection of high, flat cheekbones?

I'm an Asian female with high, relatively defined cheekbones but I lack forward projection. Would fat grafting, cheek implants, or cheek fillers be most appropriate? What are the pros and cons of each?

Option for High-Flat Cheekbones--Cheek Augmentation -- Fillers such as Radiesse, Voluma, Perlane; Fat; Implants; Sculptra

Without a picture, it's difficult to determine what would be best. Fat, fillers, such as Radiesse, Voluma, implants and Sculptra can all be used.  The pros of fat/implants are it's a permanent solution while the pros of fillers is it gives you a temporary understanding of how you will look with augmentation. Please see a professional for an evaluation.  Best, Dr. Emer

Increase projection of high, flat cheek bones.

Thank you for asking about your cheek bones.

• Cheek implants will give you a permanent projection and this is probably the best solution. 
  • If you aren't sure you'll like the look, you can have fillers done first as a trial treatment. They will last about 9 months.
  •  Fat grafting, in my experience, is less predictable and less precise than fillers and when the swelling is gone, relatively little fat remains. 
  • So I would recommend that you consider either fillers or an implant, but not fat injections.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

I'm an Asian female with high, relatively defined cheekbones but I lack forward projection. fat or cheek implants?

Hi, I have performed many facial shaping procedures using dermal fillers, liposuction, facial implants (cheek implants, chin implants) and/or facelifts for over 30 years.  Non smiling photos of your face from the front and side would help in the evaluation.  If the cheeks are flat in the front, this tends to create an angular, elongated looking face in women.

Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces.  Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front.  Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face.  Despite its popularity, fat injections are "far" less reliable at creating precise shape to the cheeks, chin and jaw line than an "off the shelf" dermal filler or facial implant.

Hope this helps.

Best option for forward projection of cheekbones

When patients have a flat maxilla a flat cheek profile, fillers can be placed together temporary augmentation in the office setting. Patients desire permanent augmentation, silastic cheek implants can be used. The cheek implants are manufactured in a large variety of sizes and shapes, which is best determined At the time of the consultation and examination, since the cheeks  and the face are three-dimensional structures.

Asian with flat cheekbones?

photographs or an examination would give a better idea of what you want and therefore what the treatment would be. Briefly one can use a filler that is reversible such as Voluma and if you like that later have the same result created with a permanent cheek implant. I would not advise fat grafting for this  because of irregularities which are not reversible. 

Best Technique to Increase Forward Projection of Cheeks

As you mentioned fat,fillers, and implants can all be used to increase cheek projection. Implants are permanent, fat will last longer than most fillers but fillers are the easiest for the patient. Consult with a physician who uses all techniques, will show you multiple examples of results, and will describe the advantages and disadvantages of each depending on you goals and expectations. There is no single right answer. 

Fat is best

If you don't mind the 'surgical' solution  then fat is best. We all have an unlimited supply, even very slim people and its natural. If taken from the right place it can last for the longest time and is as natural a solution as there is. In my practice it is performed as an LA OPD procedure and takes 45 minutes. 

It gives reliable results with minimal downtime. Hope that helps. 

Adam Goodwin