Nearly 3 months post op lipo. Will I see any improvement at all? (Photos)

Hi! I had liposuction on my upper and lower abdomen on August 17th. The photo on the left was taken the night before the procedure and the photo on the left was taken 20 minutes ago. I was 126 pounds the day of surgery and I still weigh the same. I'm really not happy with the results and although I don't think it's possible, I was wondering if there's any chance I could still be swollen? Is it possible that I wasn't a good candidate for liposuction? Thanks for your help.

Thank you for your photos

Liposuction recovery can differ for different people depending on your healing potential, post-operative care, and your lifestyle. Generally speaking, changes can continue to occur even after 3 months out. It is important to adhere to the instructions given to you by your surgeon for optimal results. Liposuction is not a weight-loss procedure and therefore your weight is not an indicator of how successful the procedure was. Hope this helps!

Johnson C. Lee, MD Plastic Surgery

Beverly Hills Physician

Will I see any improvement

Thanks for your question and photos. Remember your post op weight really should not change much post op, you didn't have a lot of fat (based on your pre op photo). Continue to wear your compression garment. Be patient. Good luck.  

Mehdi K. Mazaheri, MD

If your weight is not down at least by the amount of fat removed, then you've gained some weight.

Most times if you dont see a dramatic improvement by 3-4 months then you've probably gained some weight. You should be down at least the amount of fat removed (2.2 lbs/1000 cc fat removed). Lose the weight and see what it looks like. It also may be that you just didn't get enough removed the 1st time. By now we know if a tough up lipo is needed.

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Liposuction Results

At three months, it is very unlikely you have any significant swelling, but surely there is some left. Your photos seem to indicate you are fuller than pre-op, which should never be the case at any time in your post-op period. I don't think more time or continued compression will be helpful at point.  Go get a few second opinions from ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeons. You'll need to be examined anyway. Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Liposuction results at three months

At three months most peoples liposuction results or final or very close to final.

There may be very subtle amounts of swelling that will go down over the next several months but the amount of swelling left at three months is usually minimal.

Most people see results close to the final results by six weeks, by three months results are very close to final, final results are typically seen at six months.

Patients were disappointed at three months or generally not be happy with the results by waiting longer.

Liposuction rarely causes weight loss.

Often there's not enough fat removed to make a significant change and people have a tendency to drift back to the preprocedure wait.

Early after liposuction people have enough swelling to compensate for the fat taken out.

Based on your pictures it appears that the liposuction it was done in a fairly conservative banner.

Why the results may not be impressive aggressive liposuction done incorrectly Calleva permanent disfigurement.

You may be a candidate for revision or secondary liposuction by the same or different provider if you're looking for and more impressive results.

Mats Hagstrom M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

Liposuction - no visible result after almost 3 months

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.

• Actually, you could still be swollen but one can't be sure from the information.
  • How much fat was removed? Are things improving slowly? What does your surgeon say?
  • People can not see results for a very long time but I agree your photos look remarkably similar.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Final result

Thank you for the question and the photos and you are still early post op and may see some changes with time.  So try to be patient and continue to wear a compressive garment.  Also express your concerns to your surgeon.

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Too Soon To Tell--Add Venus Legacy, Cellutone, Exilis Ultra to aftercare

You can have swelling for 3-6 months after your procedure so it's still too early for your final results. I do recommend adding RF treatments externally like venus legacy, exilis ultra, Vanquish, shock/vibration therapy like Cellutone/z wave, hyperbaric oxygen and compression in order to decrease swelling and improve results.  If you are unhappy you could consider a VASER HI DEF contouring revision procedure.  Best, Dr. Emer