My face is very swollen. Allergic to antibiotic? Benadryl is not working. What else can I do?

I had liposuction 4 days ago on my upper and lower abs. My face and eyes are very swollen today (no issues with breathing). I also have a rash on my face. The only med I have taken in the last 24 hrs is cephalexin. I took Benadryl and stopped antibiotic 4 hrs ago but face and eyes still really swollen. Is this a reaction to the antibiotic? Benadryl is not working. It is my son's b-day and I need to get rid of this rash on my face and for the swelling to go down.

Doctor Answers 4

Facial swelling after liposuction

Thank you for asking about your facial swelling.

  • I am so sorry to hear of your facial swelling but this is something your own surgeon needs to treat.
  • It sounds like an anaphylactic reaction, possibly to Keflex.
  • Whatever the medicine that led to the rash, you should never take it again.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 43 reviews

Swelling After Antbioitics and Liopsuction

You likely have a drug reaction and should speak to your physician about the treatment.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Jason Emer, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 190 reviews

Rash after liposuction

Would you describe may very well be an allergic reaction to the anabiotic.

You should contact your plastic surgeon immediately and have him or her address your concerns.

Your doctor may or may not recommend that you switch to a different anabiotic or simply stop taking the anabiotic's.

Sometimes topical steroid cream's can help ask Hannah taking anti-inflammatory steroids like prednisone.

Please check with your doctor to see what he or she recommends.


Mats Hagstrom M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD
San Francisco Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 18 reviews

Liposuction/ Liposculpture/ Fat Transfer/ Vaser/ Hi Definition Procedures/Liposuction Revision/Tummy Tuck/Body Contouring

I appreciate your question.

Since there has been a change in your post op course, please contact your surgeon so he/she can examine you and recommend the most appropriate treatment plan at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Best of luck!

Dr. Schwartz

Board Certified Plastic Surgeon


Jaime S. Schwartz, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 91 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.