How long do I have to wear "support garments" after a Mommy Makeover? (photo)

I had a mommy makeover 8/4/14 - BA, TT, MR, lipo of flanks/inner thighs and I've been wearing support bras, compression garments, spanx, binders, etc, almost 24/7... taking them off only to wash or do laundry. I'm starting to feel like a constricted sausage. :/

How long do I have to wear "support garments" after a Mommy Makeover?

Congratulations on having undergone the “mommy makeover” surgery.  Generally speaking, best to follow your own plastic surgeon's recommendations.  In my practice, I ask patients to wear the abdominal wall binder for one month after surgery;  most patients are eager to “burn” the garment  as soon as possible.  Some patients however prefer to keep  some form of compression garment on for a longer period of time,  stating that the garment gives them  a feeling of  physical and  mental “security”.  

Also, as patients become more active with exercise/activity, some swelling  in the soft tissues normally occurs;  this continues until the veins/lymphatic channels are functioning normally again. Sometimes, this daily and activity related swelling may persist for several months. The use of a compressive garments may be helpful during this time period.  

Best wishes; hopefully, you will be very pleased with the longer-term outcome of the procedures performed. 

Your surgeon will guide you on how long to wear the support garment. 
I have my patients wear a compression garment x 2 weeks and longer as they wish for comfort and support.

How long do I have to wear "report garments" after a Mommy Make Over?

Congratulations on undergoing the Mommy Make Over. Many patients have the same sentiments as you regarding the compression garments. Normally I tell my patients to wear the compression garments for a month. Many patients prefer however to continue some type of support for a longer period of time. It is important however for you to follow the directions of your surgeon regarding your postoperative care. Good luck

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Support garments

I would follow your surgeon's specific recommendations about the garments. I generally tell my patients to keep wearing them for a couple of months.

This is definitely a question I would ask your plastic surgeon as everyone has different post-op instructions. How you heal in the first several weeks can also impact the decisions. Check with you plastic surgeon for specifics. Good luck, Dean Vistnes.

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Makeover

Compression garments after abdominoplasty serve three primary purposes: patient comfort, assistance with patient mobility and control of edema.
Most tummy tuck patients feel better and have an easier time changing positions (laying to sitting, sitting to standing, etc) and ambulating with the feeling of abdominal support that a compression garment provides. My preference is to start patients out with a three-panel, Velcro-fastened abdominal binder that is easily applied and removed. This allows easy access to surgical dressings and easy inspection of the abdominal skin in the early postoperative period.
Patients are placed in a form-fitting but comfortable compression garment at their postop day two appointment after the On-Q catheters (local anesthetic infusion system for postop pain control) are removed. The garment should cover the entire trunk, and ideally should incorporate breast coverage to keep the garment from slipping downward. It should have an open crotch (panties are worn over the garment) so that it does not need to be removed for every trip to the bathroom. Most patients seem to prefer a garment that includes the upper thigh (rather than a 1-piece swimsuit-style coverage at the hips) so that it does not ‘pinch’ in the hip or groin area, although we give patients that choice.
Compression also helps to control the subcutaneous edema that is a normal part of abdominoplasty recovery. The process of elevating the abdominoplasty flap (as well as liposuction of the central subcutaneous portion of the flap which is required in most patients) temporarily impairs normal lymphatic drainage. The lymphatic system is responsible for directing fluid that leaks out at the capillary level from the vascular system back to the venous system. Because lymphatic drainage is impaired, it is quite common for subcutaneous edema (swelling) to develop in the flap – which persists until the remaining lymphatic channels recover and new ones develop. Some patients have very little edema postop, and can discontinue the use of their compression garment earlier.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

6-12 weeks

6-12 weeks is generally a good range for compression following a body contouring procedure. I like to use the 12 weeks specially when my patients start excercising. 

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

Support garments after Mommy Makeover

I recommend that my patients wear the compression garments for 6 weeks to aid with the swelling. Many actually feel "safer" and more comfortable with them on. Others, like you, feel like a "constricted sausage". These garments are typically bulky and constricting. If they become too bothersome, I usually switch my patients out to a spandex type garment, so that they will at least wear something. Discuss options with your surgeon. Good Luck.

Compression garment after mommy makeover

Tummy tuck surgery and liposuction usually require fairly aggressive compression garments for the first 4-6 weeks.  Your're almost there :).  Ironically, you may feel that wearing the abdominal binder feels better.  Many patients chose to do so beyond the first 4-6 weeks because of this.  Since each plastic surgeon has his or her own preference I would touch base with them first.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Support Garments

Because there is swelling following surgery of the abdomen and breasts following this surgery, compression garments are used for support, comfort, and to enhance healing. Generally, these garments are worn for 6 weeks depending on the patients comfort. A lighter garment is usually worn for several months if it provides comfort and to reduce some residual swelling.

Robert M. Wald, Jr., MD