What can I do before getting lip injections (Juvederm) to be sure I'm not allergic to it? What am I looking for in a doctor?

I'm scared to get lip injections bc I don't want to have a reaction. Can it be tested somewhere else on my body to be sure I won't have a negative reaction? I had about 25 units of Botox last year in my forehead & had red dots at every injection sight like mosquito bites but they went away about an hour & a half after the injections. Also, what do I look for in a Doctor ? I don't really know who to go to ? My dermatologist or a plastic surgeon ? Thank you !!

Doctor Answers 7

Lip filler injection allergies - incredibly rare

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Injecting the lips or any other part of the face with the hyaluronic acid-based (HA) fillers (e.g. Juvederm, Restylane etc) very very rarely results in a true allergic reaction. It is common though to have 2-3 days of lip swelling, and sometimes a bruise that lasts around 1 week. If you're particularly concerned, you can inject the filler into any part of the body's skin to assess for a reaction. I have never had an allergic reaction to an HA based filler in over 10 years of practice and I have treated thousands of patients.

Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Lip Filler Question and Allergies

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Dear Bigbootyjudy,

Thank you for your question about lip filler. Allergic reactions from hyaluronic acid fillers, which are the type of filler we most commonly use in the lip, are extremely extremely rare. So rare that testing is not routinely done. If you really would feel the most comfortable with a skin test it is easy enough to test the product under the skin first.

I would look for a doctor with whom you feel comfortable. I am a dermatologist and my sister is a facial plastic surgeon and we both do a ton of lip filler. Our approach is the minimize any discomfort of the actual lip injection and for you to leave looking natural. We have all seen patients that have had too much lip filler. Don't be afraid to ask tons of questions during your consultation and explain exactly how you want your lip to look.
Good luck!

Morgan Rabach, MD
New York Dermatologist

Choosing a Filler Injector and Possible Reaction

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
The reaction you had to the Botox injection was simply your reaction to the needle stick. The most common problem with Juvederm is similar reactions to the injections itself. Since Juvederm is nothing but Hyaluronic Acid, a normal substance in the body, reactions to the product itself are essentially unheard of. Because of this, no pre injection testing is required and I know of no way to accomplish this, even if you wanted to. The best way to find an experienced injector is to use ExpertInjector.org and make sure they have significant experience in the area that interests you.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

You might also like...

Allergy to Juvederm

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hi and thanks for your question.  Juvederm is made from hyaluronic acid which is a sugar that you and every other person has in their body already.  While the gel that is injected has some other minor components in it, and it is theoretically possible to be allergic to these other components, I have done literally thousands of these injections and I have never seen any allergic reaction.  Testing in other parts of your body can be done, but this is not recommended by the company or the FDA as there is almost no risk of an allergic reaction.

As far as who to go to for lip injections, you should see a doctor who has a great amount of experience.  I have treated thousands of patients with Juvederm with excellent results.  Good luck.  Dr. Pontell

Jonathan Pontell, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 113 reviews

Filler and allergy

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
The Hyaluronic acid fillers do not commonly cause allergies and normally we do not skin test for them.. You certainly can have that done in advance if you desire.

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 30 reviews

Juvederm and Allergy NYC

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

If you are very concerned about Juvederm and an allergic reaction you can definitely have a skin test before you are injected with it. Although it is generally not performed, you could opt for the skin test to be done.  Best, Dr. Green

Choosing doctor for Juvederm injections

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Generally a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon will be a good place to start. However, this does not guarantee that you have a skilled or artistic injector.  Someone who does injections routinely as a large part of their practice is best.  Someone who studies the human face from an artistic standpoint and who constantly strives for the best possible results would be ideal.  Trust your gut instinct.  

HA filler such as Restylane or Juvederm can be dissolved if needed, so this adds to their safety.  It is very rare to be allergic to one of these fillers.  Skin testing is not routinely used with these fillers.  


Dr. Ort

Richard Ort, MD
Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 28 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.