I have read that Artas works best on straight black hair. Is this an option for gray hair? Wavy or curly hair?

Artas Robot

The Artas works by identifying the park the pigment in the hair.  Therefore, I simply apply some temporary dark hair coloring to grey or light hair. I have found this always successful. Also, with wavy or curly hair I leave the hair just a little longer to see how it comes out of the surface of the scalp. The robot makes corrections in the hair variation quicker than I can manually. 

Overland Park Phlebologist

Artas Robot

I hold two key patents on the robot so I can be specific to your question. The robot's optics require that it picks up a follicular unit so that it can determine location, number of hair in the graft and the direction the hair is pointing. It can not see white hair, but as the hairs are cut very short (1mm in length) all hair at this length is straight so that wavy or curly hair which require a longer hair shaft to show their character, are all straight at the 1mm cut level. If the hair is gray or white, I generally dye these short hair with a black ink on the day of the ARTAS surgery so we can and have done white haired people if that is what you have. See link below for more information on the robot and our history with pioneering the FUE work in general

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

ARTAS does work best on straight dark hair against a light scalp. However, if you have gray hair, we are able to use a temporary hair dye to assist the robot in identifying the follicular units. Also, the robot does do well with wavy or curly hair, the settings are adjusted based on the quality of the follicles extracted.

Rae Lynne Kinler, MD
Chicago Physician

Artas with curly or wavy hair

Generally speaking the Artas is fine with wavy or curly hair.  Where it is not as good is if the hair curls under the skin or hooks under the skin. In general, I prefer FUE by hand with a skilled surgeon every single time vs the Artas.  The times when the Artas is good is when the doctor is older and gets tired performing FUE, or for more inexperienced doctors trying to learn FUE.  What most patients don't realize is the punch size used on the Artas is very large compared to a skilled surgeon doing it by hand, and that a lot of practices with an Artas do not have the experience to perform a very successful procedure with it.

Amir Yazdan, MD
Irvine Hair Restoration Surgeon

It's true that ARTAS works better on straight hair.

ARTAS sometimes will have hard time locating gray hair since it needs the coloring of the hair to differentiate between scalp and hair.
All the ARTAS user physician will use temporary dye for the gray and white hair before the procedure, thus color won't be a big issue.
Wavy or curly hair might be a problem.  Straight hair is definitely be the best option.  However, curly hair can still be done depending on individuals.  Test trial with manual FUE can be done prior to ARTAS to check the feasibility of the procedure.  Best advise is to double check with the doctor during the consultation.

Alan Liu, MD
Taiwan Hair Restoration Surgeon

ARTAS patient selection

aquanda,While it is true that ARTAS works best with straight dark hair, it can also be employed in patients with other hair colors and hair characteristics. The lighter colored hair can be dyed using a temporary dark color dye, preferably Just For Men black. The hair is then trimmed very short using a peanut hair trimmer without guard. The ARTAS can then scan the donor seeing and counting all the follicles in the grid, it can be ordered to select or target higher density follicles to enhance more hair transfer. It can also work on wavy, or curly hair.
Bernardino A. Arocha, MD

Bernardino Arocha, MD
Houston Hair Restoration Surgeon

ARTAS robotic FUE can work for any type of hair

The ARTAS robotic system can work for any hair type.  The donor hair in a robotic procedure is shaved to approximately 1 mm in length.  At this length, the robot can identify and accurately perform the punch while minimizing any damage to the graft.  The optical system for the robot may not accurately identify white hair, so we have patients dye their hair the evening before or the day of the procedure. Only the hair in the donor area (back and sides) where the robot will be doing the harvesting needs to be dyed.  
In patients who prefer not to shave or dye the entire back and sides of the scalp, we can perform the ARTAS robotic FUE using the long-hair technique. With this technique, you will grow your hair on the back and sides of the scalp a bit longer so it can cover the harvested area. On the day of the procedure, we will lift up the hair, clip a long thin band of donor hair and then extract follicular units from this limited region of the scalp. After the procedure, you can simply comb down your hair to cover the donor zone.  The area that has been harvested (and possibly dyed depending on your hair color) will not be visible.

The ARTAS robot detects hairs that stand out from background skin color. So black hair against white skin would be ideal.

The ARTAS robot detects hairs that stand out from background skin color. So black hair against white skin would be ideal.  This does not mean it would not work on grey hair.  Sometimes the doctor will dye your hair if there is an issue.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Artas works on most hair types

While the ideal hair type for the ARTAS is dark, coarse straight hair, the robot does quite well with all hair types.  The donor hair is shaved very short prior to the extractions being made.  For most caucasian and Asian hair types the hair beneath the skin surface is actually straight.  This allows the robot easy access to the graft.  African american hair can have a bit of a curl under the skin.  Still, ARTAS can also extract the majority of these patients as well.

Gray hair is also usually not a problem.  If the hair is too difficult to see, we can easily dye the hair prior to extraction to assist.

David Josephitis, DO
Minneapolis Hair Restoration Surgeon

About ARTAS hair transplant surgery

Yes, it work best for black straight hair. As to gray hair or blond hair, we will dye black before surgery.
As to FUE surgery, wavy or curly hair is not as easy to be harvested as straight hair. But we can adjust many parameters of the ARTAS to make it easier.

Kwan Jou Chu, MD
Taiwan Hair Restoration Surgeon