I have read that Artas works best on straight black hair. Is this an option for gray hair? Wavy or curly hair?

Artas Robot

The Artas works by identifying the park the pigment in the hair.  Therefore, I simply apply some temporary dark hair coloring to grey or light hair. I have found this always successful. Also, with wavy or curly hair I leave the hair just a little longer to see how it comes out of the surface of the scalp. The robot makes corrections in the hair variation quicker than I can manually. 

Overland Park Phlebologist

ARTAS

ARTAS robotic system was approved by FDA for men with black straight hair. However we have treated men and women with white and curly hair. Usually we dye the white hair on the day of the procedure so the system can see the hair follicles. For wavy or curly hair we leave the hair a little longer. So to make it simple yes we can perform this procedure on any hair color or character.

Artas Robot

I hold two key patents on the robot so I can be specific to your question. The robot's optics require that it picks up a follicular unit so that it can determine location, number of hair in the graft and the direction the hair is pointing. It can not see white hair, but as the hairs are cut very short (1mm in length) all hair at this length is straight so that wavy or curly hair which require a longer hair shaft to show their character, are all straight at the 1mm cut level. If the hair is gray or white, I generally dye these short hair with a black ink on the day of the ARTAS surgery so we can and have done white haired people if that is what you have. See link below for more information on the robot and our history with pioneering the FUE work in general

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Artas

The Artas Robot scans the scalp and identifies the follicle with the pigment in the hair.  When a patient has gray or light hair, we add temporary dark hair coloring to the donor area.   The Artas is a tool, so important you find an experienced physician to harvest your hair, more so when the hair isn't straight.  Together with the Artas hair variation isn't an issue for a proficient physician.  

Bobbi D. Edwards, MD
Southfield Dermatologic Surgeon

With experience, ARTAS can be used with may hair types/colors

This is a good question.  The ARTAS flagship studies were on Caucasian men with dark straight hair.  This said, with an understanding of hair types, I have used the ARTAS system successfully on men and women of all ethnicity and hair types.  It's important that your ARTAS doctor has experience with your type of hair and how to use their robot to get you great results.  Good luck!

Justin Rome, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair texture/color for Artas harvesting.

The Artas works well on many types of hair.  However with lighter or gray hair we apply some temporary dark hair coloring. Also with hair that has a body or curl, we simply cut it a little longer to identify the direction in which it grows from the scalp. The robot then can make corrections up to 60 times per second to ensure the best harvesting possible. 

Justin Misko, MD
Lincoln Hair Restoration Surgeon

Yes!

ARTAS does work best on straight dark hair against a light scalp. However, if you have gray hair, we are able to use a temporary hair dye to assist the robot in identifying the follicular units. Also, the robot does do well with wavy or curly hair, the settings are adjusted based on the quality of the follicles extracted.

Rae Lynne Kinler, MD
Chicago Physician

Artas with curly or wavy hair

Generally speaking the Artas is fine with wavy or curly hair.  Where it is not as good is if the hair curls under the skin or hooks under the skin. In general, I prefer FUE by hand with a skilled surgeon every single time vs the Artas.  The times when the Artas is good is when the doctor is older and gets tired performing FUE, or for more inexperienced doctors trying to learn FUE.  What most patients don't realize is the punch size used on the Artas is very large compared to a skilled surgeon doing it by hand, and that a lot of practices with an Artas do not have the experience to perform a very successful procedure with it.

Amir Yazdan, MD
Irvine Hair Restoration Surgeon

It's true that ARTAS works better on straight hair.

ARTAS sometimes will have hard time locating gray hair since it needs the coloring of the hair to differentiate between scalp and hair.
All the ARTAS user physician will use temporary dye for the gray and white hair before the procedure, thus color won't be a big issue.
Wavy or curly hair might be a problem.  Straight hair is definitely be the best option.  However, curly hair can still be done depending on individuals.  Test trial with manual FUE can be done prior to ARTAS to check the feasibility of the procedure.  Best advise is to double check with the doctor during the consultation.

Alan Liu, MD
Taiwan Hair Restoration Surgeon

ARTAS patient selection

aquanda,While it is true that ARTAS works best with straight dark hair, it can also be employed in patients with other hair colors and hair characteristics. The lighter colored hair can be dyed using a temporary dark color dye, preferably Just For Men black. The hair is then trimmed very short using a peanut hair trimmer without guard. The ARTAS can then scan the donor seeing and counting all the follicles in the grid, it can be ordered to select or target higher density follicles to enhance more hair transfer. It can also work on wavy, or curly hair.
Sincerely,
Bernardino A. Arocha, MD

Bernardino Arocha, MD
Houston Hair Restoration Surgeon