I had a hard lump after BBL and received around 12 Kenalog injections. Did this cause my gluteal muscle to die?

I had a BBL, immediately after I had severe pain, I went back to my surgeon who gave me an injection. This helped for I while. I went back because the pain was worsening again instructed to get Kenalog injections every month which did not really help. I eventually went to Kaiser got an MRI, the Dr. found a lipoma 6X3cm and decided to biopsy. After surgery, he said the lipoma was very deep and that I had huge chunks of dead gluteal muscle which had to be removed.

Kenalog causing muscle death

There are too many variables to give you an accurate answer of what caused what.

Sometimes muscle that is wrapped around scar tissue comes out during surgery.

If muscle tissue is dead it will usually atrophy and become scar tissue and not even look like muscle anymore.

Any tissue that actually looks like muscle at the time of surgery will be alive weather in bedded in scar tissue fat or anything else.

How the initial surgery was performed, the actual point of injection and dosing of Kenalog all play major factors in the final outcome.

I suggest trying to look forward and not analyze the past though many patients obsess over trying to figure out what went wrong when the results are not what they had hoped for.

Medicine including cosmetic surgery is complex and has many variables and often uncertainties that can vary from patient to patient and from case to case.

Mats Hagstrom M.D.

Kenelog injection causing muscle death

Kenelog injection should not cause muscle death on its own; you likely had an area that was overgrafted such that the fat cells did not survive resulting in fat necrosis and a ball of dead fat as found.

Arian Mowlavi, MD