8 days post op; 20lbs in water retention. Was told it must be swelling? (Photo)

I've gained 17 lbs in 8 days and was told that must be swelling , I feel like this may not havebeen a good idea I have worn my compression garnment I know it's not food because I'm not eating normally yet because I'm sore and in pain

20lbs. is more than just "swelling." You need to be seen.

Some swelling is indeed normal and expected after surgery, though regardless of the type of surgery (you did not say, and your photo is not helpful without additional information), 17-20 lbs. of swelling is NOT normal. If all you had was liposuction and BBL, this is entirely too much fluid weight for simple "swelling."

You could have a seroma that requires drainage. Did you have an American Board of Plastic Surgery-certified plastic surgeon perform your surgery? Call and be seen by your surgeon immediately. Best wishes! Dr.Tholen

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Keep talking with your PS

I think, your best option should be your PS. Call him and tell your concerns, follow his instructions. Normally after any plastic surgery, there is some swelling. Maybe 20 pounds is a little high.Call him to follow up.

good luck

8 days post op; 20lbs in water retention. Was told it must be swelling?

A component will be swelling, but a fluid collection could add to this weight as well.  It is always best to ask these questions of your chosen surgeon as recommendations may be different.

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information with pictures as well... Are you using your post surgical garment? It seems to be liquid but that can be dangerous and also painful, consult with your surgeon some follow up apps. to drain your belly  part, its not normal to be that swollen after surgery.

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD