I am 1/2 East Indian and 1/2 Hispanic. I have Melasma. I would like a treatment of clear and brilliant. Would that be advisable?

I am 1/2 East Indian and 1/2 Hispanic . I have Melasma on my face . I get picoway laser every four weeks , so far x 3. It is improving slowly . I am going to an event in 1 week and would like my face to look bright and refreashed . Can i have a clear and brilliant treatment without any adverse effect?

Clear and Brilliant for Melasma

Hi sitadeo, thanks for the great question. This subject happens to be a passion of mine as I've devoted most of my career trying to understand the way light, laser and energy based systems react with darker skin types.

Melasma can indeed be treated with Clear and Brilliant  (Permea 1927 nm hand piece), however I recommend preconditioning the skin with bleaching/blending creams (containing skin lightening agents such as hydroquinone or Kojic acid) for at least 4 to 6 weeks prior to starting therapy. The reason for this regimen is that Melasma can be very reactive when combined with a laser, especially in Darker Skin phenotypes, thus combining laser with a topical melanocyte (pigment cell) suppression regimen will keep the skin calm in the healing phase.

I agree with other experts that I wouldn't obtain an aesthetic laser treatment so close to an event as one may not know how the skin will react.

I hope this helps and I wish you the best of luck on your aesthetic journey!

Best Wishes

Dr K

West Hollywood Ophthalmologist

All safe with the 1927 Permea

All good, 6-8 passes using the 1927 at 5 mj...which is at its maximum. Laser itself will not be effective, you must combine this with a lightening agent - such as HQ, Lytera, and or antioxidants such as Vitamin C. You must sun protect, and you will need 4-6 C and B treatments, 2-4 weeks apart. Expect a 50-80% improvement. All the best, Dr Davin S. Lim. Brisbane. Australia. 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Clear + Brilliant for melasma

The Clear + Brilliant works well for patients with melasma, particularly the 1927 nm Permea handpiece. However, multiple treatments (4-6) are required. You likely will not see a big difference in your melasma after just 1 treatment, which is all you have time for prior to your event. Actually, I probably wouldn't recommend a laser treatment so close to your event even if it is something as gentle as the Clear + Brilliant.