What filler will last the longest for Hand Rejuvenation?

Hand Rejuvenation with Fat Grafts

In this month's (May 2016) Journal of Hand Surgery there is an article reviewing the literature on hand rejuvenation. The authors find that "fat grafting not only stands out as a superior choice but should be accepted as the standard approach for patients requesting younger-looking hands". Although a percentage of the transferred fat will be reabsorbed, the fat that remains will provide a long-lasting correction to the volume loss in the hand.

Middletown Plastic Surgeon

Hand Rejuvenation

Fat transfer, if done adequately in the hands, will overcorrect by 50-75%. Non-surgical treatment for hand rejuvenation can be done by using Radiesse. Both are effective long term and will restore volume.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Filler in hands

Thank you for your question. I prefer to use Radiesse in the hands. Patients love it and it can last a year. You should consult with a board certified injector. Good luck.

What Filler Will Last the Longest for Hand Rejuvenation

If as an older person, one notices some atrophy of the top of the hand, with the tendons and intervals between them getting more noticeable, then the use of fat to restore volume is the most long-lasting option, since fat that is successfully transferred is now living and part of the tissues of the hand. Stem cells in the transferred fat may also contribute to an improved quality of skin and improved appearance. 
The procedure is done with local anesthetic and fat is harvested from an available donor site, such as the love handles or lower abdomen.  The hands would have to be kept fairly immobile for several days to allow the fat to take.

Robert M. Lowen, MD
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

Hand rejuvenation

I use Radiesse almost exclusively in the hands to improve volume and impart a more youthful appearance.  I find results with Radiesse are relatively long lasting - usually a year or more - and has a high patient satisfaction rate.  Good luck!

Jason R. Lupton, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Hand Rejuvenation Options

When rejuvenating the hands there are several options.  Fat grafts is an option and more permanent than fillers. A good deep tissue filler for the hands is Radiesse and can be longer lasting than some of the other fillers. 

I would recommend going to a reputable plastic surgeon or physician run cosmetic practice who has experience in hand rejuvenation procedures.  Your goals should be reviewed and a complete consultation and plan should be discussed.

In our practice , hand rejuvenation is extremely popular and women want their hands to look as great as their face and body. Good luck to you in achieving your goal to more youthful hands.

Stephen Kay, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Hand Rejuvenation -- Use Radiesse and Belotero In Combination With Cannulas

I find that a combination of Radiesse and Belotero give amazing natural looking results.  Fat lasts longest if you want something permanent.  By injecting with cannulas, there is literally no downtime, no bruising, or pain.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Hand rejuvenation

Fat transfer is a very good option that allows for permanent results.  Restylane and Radiesse work very well as well.  

Afshin Farzadmehr, MD

Fillers for Hand Rejuvenation

If you are opposed to more aggressive means of hand rejuvenation such as fat transfer, then fillers may be a good option for you. The fillers I most commonly use for this are Voluma, Juvederm Ultra Plus, and Radiesse. I also use microcannulas for this as there is virtually no risk of bleeding or bruising. You can check out the video below for an example. Hope this helps.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

Longest Lasting Filler for Hand Rejuvenation

I have been using fat grafts to the hand for over 25 years and continue to feel that this is the best option. Recovery is a little longer than using fillers but it is well worth the effort.