Under my eyes it looks hollow I have lost weight what can I do. (photos)

Doctor Answers 10

Replacing Lost Facial Volume With Injectable Fillers

Hi and thanks for your question. It looks like you have lost some volume in your face after losing weight. This is quite common and easily corrected non surgically, using fillers like Voluma and Juvederm. When correcting under eye volume loss, I use a modified version of Juvederm that we prepare in our clinic and I have seen the results last for 6 years (average of about 3 years, but reversible at any time with enzyme). After 12 years of filling the under eye area, the results I get with modified Juvederm are much better than results I was getting for Restylane. For the cheek area I would recommend Voluma. It is a soft, reversible filler that lasts a year and a half or more. Hope that helps.

Los Angeles Physician
4.7 out of 5 stars 18 reviews

Under eye hollow

Not uncommon to have some hollowing in this area with weight loss.  A good option is to put some HA filler into the lower lid to provide some volume.  The best ones to use are Restylane and Belotero.  Stay away from Juvederm here as it can result in unwanted edema.  The filler should last at least a year.  And if you don't like it for some reason it can be easily removed. 

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 27 reviews

Hollow under eyes

There are many options available to improve the look under the eyes.  There are fillers to help volumize and contour the area.  You can consider lasers to help tighten the appearance.  There are wonderful products to improve the area as well.  Usually it is best to use a combination of tools to get the desired outcome.  I encourage you to meet with a plastic surgeon in your area to explore your options.

Camille Cash, MD
Houston Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 33 reviews

Bye-Bye Hollow Under Eye

Fillers, lasers, and microneedling/PRP can improve under eye hollows. My patients try to get non surgical treatments to avoid surgery. We use PRP and stem cells there often. See an expert for a formal evaluation. Best, Dr. Emer.

Jason Emer, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 190 reviews

Treating Under-Eye Hollows Post Weight Loss

Congratulations on your weight loss!

Taking into consideration factors such as downtime, cost, and predictability, the best treatment for you is likely dermal fillers. There are a variety of fillers currently on the market, however I have found that Restylane works best for the under-eye area. Restylane is made of hyaluronic acid, a molecule found naturally in our own bodies, and is temporary but malleable. 

In my practice, Restylane for the eyes is injected through the use of a cannula, a long, blunt-tipped needle. Utilizing a cannula allows for maximum comfort and safety, and minimizes bruising and swelling. The effects of Restylane generally last 6-9 months, but can last longer for some patients.

Be sure to consult with a board certified Dermatologist to further discuss your treatment options. Best of luck!

Nissan Pilest, MD
Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 19 reviews

Fillers or Fat for Under Eye Hollows

Your problem is classic from weight loss and represents deflation of the area. You are, therefore. a perfect candidate for use of a filler like Juvederm Voluma or your own fat. Make certain you see an expert injector with significant experience in both for this area. (See ExpertInjector.org)

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 6 reviews

Under my eyes it looks hollow I have lost weight what can I do.

There are various options for filling the hollow area under eyes including filler injection, fat injection, and tear trough implant. Lower blepharoplasty may be another option. See an oculoplastic specialist for evaluation.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 72 reviews

How to treat tear troughs "hollows"

Thank you for sharing your question. Restylane is the best dermal filler to correct the darkness caused by hollowing beneath the eyelids. See an expert physician for treatment.  Good luck,

James R. Gordon, MD, FACS, FAAO
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 140 reviews

Hollowness Under Eyes

Hi Gwen.  You are s perfect candidate for dermal filler injections.  The volume you have lost is easily replaced with a product called Restylane.  Check out the results of the procedure for other Los Angeles patients by viewing the Restylane "tear trough" before and after photos at the link below.  

Harold J. Kaplan, MD
Los Angeles Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.3 out of 5 stars 6 reviews

Lower Eyelid/Cheek Volume Restoration

As we age, we all lose fat volume in our faces. Congratulations on your weight loss. Unfortunately it unmask this volume loss. Volume can be restored with dermal fillers or fat transfer. We prefer fat transfer as it is far longer lasting and is not frought with the problems of swelling and lumpiness which are often a result of dermal fillers in this area where the skin is so thin. Fat can be taken from the area around your belly button by mini-liposuction and reinjected into your eyelids and upper cheeks through very small needle incisions.

Daniel Lensink, MD
Redding Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 4 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.