Lower Eyelid Retraction Surgery - how permanent are results?

I was hyperthyroid before treatment (now HYPO). To treat PROTRUDING EYES, from age 18-22 (I'm now 22), I underwent 4 ORBITAL DECOMPRESSION surgeries, and 4 LOWER-LID RETRACTIONS. Unbeknownst to me, first 2 lid surgeries aimed for VERY temporary results (no graft used). I then had 3rd (apparently permanent) LOWER-LID retraction using GRAFT from upper-lid done 16 months ago, and the same surgery done on the other eye just 1 month ago. Will my lower eyelids begin to droop again overtime?

That's a really great question!

Hi there. Greetings from the UK. What you've just asked is one of the most complicated questions regarding thyroid eye disease management. Indeed a recent review in OPRS goes into this into quite a lot of detail. The fact that there are so many different surgical techniques with different types of spacer graft is a direct reflection of how variable and unreliable this sort of surgery is. Best Wishes David

Birmingham Oculoplastic Surgeon

It goes without saying your situation is very complicated.

Generally if you are satisfied with the position of the lower eyelids, the situation should be stable given that your last surgery was 16 months ago.  If things do change over time, an answer from a surgeon posting on Realself will have very little bearing on your actual situation.  At that point, you would need in person consultations from folks like me who specialize in precisely this type of work.

See oculoplastic surgeon for lower eyelid retraction evaluation

This is a complicated specific problem you have that requires in person examination. There are various factors involved including eyeball position and eyelid position. See following link.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon