If I have a chin implant, can I inject Kybella to reduce double chin? Will Kybella affect the chin implant material?

Kybella after chin implant

Thanks for the question.  Kybella should not affect the chin implant material.  Kybella is made from a naturally occurring enzyme in your body that digests fats, therefore, it will not digest the material your implant is made out of.  Also, Kybella really should not be injected that close to the bone where your chin implant is likely positioned.  Best of luck! 

Long Beach Physician

Kybella after chin implant

Kybella won't affect the chin implant material.  You will have significant swelling after Kybella so prepare yourself.  I tell my patients to expect swelling and jiggling for 2-4 weeks. Numbness lasts about 6 weeks. And then there are lumps and bumps for up to 8 weeks as well. Swelling does not fully resolve for a few months so i don't re-inject for a few months.

My best,
Dr. Nazarian
@drsheilanazarian on Instagram

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Kybella Treatments Reduce Double Chins

Kybella is a new injectable approved by the FDA for the treatment of moderate to severe fat under the chin; double chin. Up until now the only option for fat removal under the chin was liposuction or surgically removing the fat by cutting it out. Chin implants lie above the treatment area of submental fat and would not affect the outcomes.

#Kybellafatreduction   #doublechintreatments   #fatreduction

Kybella with a chin implant

Kybella is injected into the submental region, or under the chin. It should be completely safe to get a Kybella treatment with a chin implant already in place because it is not in the area that the implant is placed. As always, check with your surgeon prior to proceeding. 

Michael T. Somenek, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Kybella ok near chin implant

Kybella should not harm an existing chin implant however, if you have a chin implant I suspect it was placed for a reason (chin retrusion with skin laxity of the neck). Treatment with kybella will not tighten the neck skin but only melt the fat beneath the skin. It works best for patients with an obvious buldge of fat beneath the chin. If you strain your neck and at the same time can pinch fat beneath your chin kybella works well. It will not however sculpt a neck with loose skin.

Christine Hamori, MD

Kybella can reduce double chin

Kybella can reduce the fatty double chin and will not harm the chin implant.
Kybella is used below the bones of the chin and dissolve fat, not tissues or implant.

#Kybella with Chin Implants

Kybella can be used to eliminate the double chin/submental fullness in patients with chin implants. However, if additional surgery on the neck was performed, you should make sure your dermatologist is aware of it prior to your procedure to ensure you are a good candidate.

Adam J. Mamelak, MD
Austin Dermatologic Surgeon

Kybella can be injected safely in patients with chin implants

Yes, Kybella can be injected when a patient has a chin implant. As long as Kybella is injected into the appropriate area, it should not cause any issues with the chin implant material.

If you are considering treatment with Kybella, please consult in-person with a board-certified physician who has been formally trained to inject Kybella and disclose that you have previously had a chin implant.

I hope this answer is helpful! Best of luck.

Tracy Leong, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Benefits of Kybella

I suggest you consult a board certified facial plastic surgeon to receive the highest quality knowledge, treatment, care and skill available. A consultation provides you the opportunity to relay your concerns and desired outcome to the surgeon while the surgeon can assess your health profile and discuss his/her pertinent advice. During the consultation, you will be able to discuss your previous surgical and non-surgical procedures to assist your surgeon in determining the right procedure for your desired look.

We have found Kybella to be superior to other products in our office. Kybella is the first and only FDA-approved injectable drug that contours and improves the appearance of submental fullness due to submental fat. It is indicated for improvement in the appearance of moderate to severe convexity or fullness associated with submental fat in adults. Please review the results of my Kybella treatments in the attached video.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Kybella

Kybella is contraindicated if there has been prior surgery in the neck area beneath the chin. If the incision and placement of the implant is in the usual area and the approach is above the chin area then the injections should be fine. Share your prior history with your plastic surgeon. 

Frank J. Ferraro, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon