Should I have cheek implants done by an oral surgeon or facial plastic surgeon?

I'm planning on having orthognathic surgery. My oral maxillofacial surgeon says that he can go in and do cheek implants simultaneously. Should I do that or should I seek a separate facial plastic surgeon to augment my cheekbones?

Doctor Answers 4

Cheek implants and orthognathic surgery

  If you are having a sliding genioplasty of the mandible and maxilla, cheek implants will probably not be necessary.  An oral surgeon is very well qualified to do a sliding genioplasty on either the upper or the lower jaw.  If you decide to perform cheek implants, they are usually placed at a separate time than the genioplasty procedure.  Orthognathic surgery is usually performed under general anesthesia in a hospital setting with an overnight stay.  Cheek implants are performed on the under local or general anesthesia as an outpatient procedure.  More information, and diagrams of the implants and many before and after results of cheek implants, please see the video and the link below

Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 143 reviews

Cheek implants done by oral surgeon or facial plastic surgeon?

  •  Cheek implants done by oral surgeon or facial plastic surgeon?  this depends on how skilled your oral surgeon is with doing cheek implants and how contaminated the implant pocket will be. See a very experienced facial plastic surgeon who can discuss with you the advantages and disadvantages of both of these ways. 

Toby Mayer, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 34 reviews

Should I have cheek implants done by an oral surgeon or facial plastic surgeon?

 Hi, non smiling photos of your face from the front and side would help with the evaluation. I have performed many facial shaping procedures using dermal fillers, facial implants (cheek, chin), liposuction and/or facelifts for over 30 years. Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces. Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front. Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face.  Think of facial beauty as something that "must" address all layers of the face including the skeletal structure of the cheeks and chin, the overlying SMAS muscle, amount and position of subcutaneous fat and finally the degree of skin laxity. It's an "urban myth" that pulling tissues over flat cheeks and a weak chin can create a beautiful or handsome face. Similarly, dermal fillers or facial implants alone can't lift and remove excess skin from the face and neck. Natural looking beauty is created by the aesthetic vision of what tissues layers need to be adjusted by what technique and amount. Hope this helps.

Francis R. Palmer, III, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 24 reviews

Which specialist for cheek implants

So you would trust your surgeon to rearrange the bones of your face but not put in a plastic cheek implant?That makes no sense at all.  Pick the doctor who will do the best job for your surgery, whether that is a plastic surgeon, a craniofacial surgeon, an oral surgeon or an ENT plastic surgeon.

Brent Moelleken, MD
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 177 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.