Will cheek implants cause a joker smile?

I'm interested in cheek implants. I'd like sub malar, but I'm not sure. I've read reviews saying people can't smile all the way anymore even after healing. I want to look natural and not fake, and just lift my heavy lower face and create Apple cheeks for a more feminine look. What causes this and how can it be prevented? What is the satisfaction rate usually of your cheek implant surgeries?

Appearance after Cheek Implants

When performed correctly, cheek implants will not cause a “joker smile”. Cheek implants are used to add volume and dimension to the face. When the ideal size and shape Cheek implant is used they will give a natural appearance when looking ahead and when smiling. You can also explore non-surgical options such as facial fillers, which will provide temporary fullness to the cheeks. I recommend visiting a specialist facial plastic surgeon to consult about cheek enhancement procedures. Viewing before and after photos is also helpful in deciding which plastic surgeon you will choose

Cheek Implants

In the immediate postoperative period, cheek implants will cause some stiffness and disruption of a full smile due to the dissection up under the lip and onto the cheeks. But this has not been a long-term issue of any significance that I have seen with cheek implants. In larger cheek implants this may be a possible concern but the placement of cheek implants down under the periosteum and on top of the bone should avoid this potential issue.

Cheek implant candidate

Cheek implants are composed of Silastic, and are manufactured in a large variety of sizes and shapes which is best determined at the time of the consultation and examination, since both the implants and the maxilla are three-dimensional structures. Cheek implants are placed through an intra-oral approach under  a brief general anesthesia as an outpatient surgical procedure. The implants are placed completely underneath the smile muscles and have no restriction upon them. Most patients love their cheek implants. On rare occasions, they can shift,move or migrate requires a small adjustment.  For many examples, please see the link and the video below

Will Cheek Implants Cause a Joker Smile/

Without pictures I don't know if cheek implants are appropriate for you or will accomplish your stated goals. Implants will improve proportions but will not effectively "lift" your lower face. The satisfaction rate of my patients after this procedure is very high.

I'm interested in cheek implants. I'd like sub malar, but I'm not sure.

Hi, I have performed many facial shaping procedures over the past 30 years using facial implants (cheek, chin) dermal fillers, liposuction and/or facelifts. Non smiling photos of your face from the front and side would help in the evaluation. 
Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces.  Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front.  Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face.

Properly placed cheek implants (I don't use sub malar implant as these can't create a full round cheek bone but rather fill out the area below the cheek which is the "sub-malar" area) should allow return of full facial mobility within several months.
Hope this helps.

Cheek implants

Luna1990, I love cheek implants in the right patient. Patient selection is important both physically and psychologically. Sometimes there are other options. With appropriate selection the satisfaction rate is extremely high and I've not had one joker smile that I know of in over 25 years. See an experienced surgeon that does only faces and has good photos. Good luck! See the movie!

M. Sean Freeman, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon