Can I have Botox injection and the resurFX laser done on my face at the same time?

Hello. I am considering have Botox injection to make my face more heart shaped and the resurFX laser to remove my acne scars. Can I have these two procedures done at the same time? Thanks a lot!

Botox Jaw Slimming and Laser for Acne Scars

From your question, I understand that you are planning to do Botox for masseter reduction. The only way I would recommend getting the laser and Botox on the same day is if you do not laser over the area where you are injecting Botox. If your acne scars are limited to your central cheeks, for example, this is possible. If, however, you are planning on using the laser on the whole face, I would agree with the other doctors here and recommend you to do the Botox, wait a few days and then do the laser. The masseter area is tricky in that if the Botox spreads too far, it can affect your smile, making it crooked. Hope that helps!

Can I have Botox injection and the resurFX laser done on my face at the same time

Thank you for your question.  Yes, you can have both treatments on the same day.  If you have already received your laser treatment, then wait until your healed.  Best wishes. 

Botox and FX

Yes you can combine procedures. Sometimes after botox you find you don't need resurfacing.  If you are unsure get the botox a week ahead of time - it only takes a few minutes to put it in.

Robert Kearney, MD, FACS
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Botox , Laser, Fillers --- CAN ALL BE DONE SAME DAY

Yes treatments can be combined to get great outcomes. I suggest you see an expert for treatment options.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Can I have Botox and laser done on my face at the same time?

Thank you for your excellent question.  I would recommend having your Botox administered first and then your laser treatment at least 24 hours afterwards.  This allows absorption of the Botox and avoids possible complications.  Hope this helps.

Botox and LASER

NO, absolutely not. If you notice below, if the doctor prefers ro do it separately then that is the way it should be done. we instruct all patients not to lye down for 4 hours or massage the treatment area after Botox injection but we can inject them and then lay them down and treat them with heat (can denature the Botox protein) and then wipe the skin between the LASER treatments! How does this make sense. You should absolutely separate the treatments by a few days. Why would you compromise the result by convenience? I recommend Botox first then LASER resurfacing 1-2 weeks later.

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Winchester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Separate Treatments

You can definitely have both of these treatments done, but I like separate them even by a few days.  There have been reports of eyelid ptosis and unwanted "spreading" of neuromodulator after it was immediately lasered over.  The laser is going to cause some swelling and depending on the depth of the laser, it may affect the neuromodulator.  I would suggest separating the treatments, just to be safe.

Jason D. Bloom, MD
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Laser and Botox

You can have the laser and Botox down at the same time.  Depending on the depth of the laser I sometimes choose to perform the Botox the following week.  Best, Dr. Green

Botox and laser on the same day

Thank you for your question katrinawang. Botox can be used to relax the masseter muscle in the lower face to contour the face from a square shape to a more heart shape. Fractional laser resurfacing such as resurFX can be used to improve acne scars, wrinkles, and sun damage. There have been no studies on doing both of these treatments on the same day so the safety and side effect profile is not know. We do know that fraction laser resurfacing can heat up the skin and that heat can cause movement of Botox. When Botox moves there is a potential for side effects such as droopy eyelids and blurred vision. In our office we wait one week between a Botox treatment and a laser treatment. However many doctors routinely do both treatments at the same visit. Please consult with a doctor for specific advice. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Combining Botox injection with lasers

There is some debate in the physician community on this but in my practice I commonly inject Botox and perform laser skin resurfacing at the same time. Some physicians worry about the swelling post laser causing the Botox to diffuse. To eliminate this possibility, some injectors will separate the two treatments by 2 weeks. I tend to inject Botox immediately after the laser while others inject immediately prior to the laser. Basically, it's about physician preference. Go to an experienced injector and you will be fine.