Is 49-year-old woman too young for a Face-lift?

I’m 49-year-old woman and so frustrated with my drooped, hooded eye lids, lots of wrinkles on my forehead, severe nasolabial folds and have lost the elasticity in my face. I recently see one of customers looked very young for her age after she had gotten a face-lift done by Dr. Peter Lee who is famous for face lift surgery. I’m wondering if the effects of a face-life lasts a lifetime. I would like to hear advice from experts. Thank you.

What is the best age for a Facelift?

As the other Surgeons have answered so far, there is no set age.  You should find several Board Certified Plastic surgeons who have practices that regularly perform facial surgery.  I have performed facial surgery on patients from 42-76 years old for their first surgery.  

Do your homework online.  Speak to previous patients, go to the consults you are comfortable with.  Look for the surgeon with great work, you relate to and understands your goals.  

When you have facial rejuvenation surgery, I tell patients we should turn the clock back 7-10 years.  You will always continue to age from there, but not catch up.  All the areas that you mentioned can be treated in one procedure to minimize your downtime.  

Good luck in your research,

Dr. Schwartz

Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

There’s no set age for a facelift.

Ideal candidates for facelifts are those in good overall health who have visibly sagging facial skin, jowls, significant neck laxity and deep nasolabial folds. Genetics, sun exposure, medical history and lifestyle all play a role in how the face ages over time. The best way to determine if you would benefit from a facelift is to consult with an experienced, board certified plastic surgeon who can examine you in person. Ask to see a before and after photo gallery of the surgeon’s work to be sure the results of their technique is to your liking. The effects of a facelift typically last about years before needing an update.

Lee B. Daniel, MD
Eugene Plastic Surgeon

Best age for a facelift?

There is really not a set age for a facelift. Patients that come to my practice usually gravitate between the early 40's to their late 70's. A facelift should last between 8-12 years, but it's longevity really depends on your habits, smoking history, sun exposure, and stress level. People that have more stress will age faster.

I also like to see it this other way. Skin and tissue that we as surgeons remove does not come back, so in theory a facelift will last a lifetime, but.... we can't stop the process of aging, so the tissues that we placed in a higher position will sag down again given time. On the other side of the coin, if you did not had the procedure done, then you will have in the future the sagging skin that you see plus the one that we did not removed.

Hope this helps,
Dr. Gus Diaz

Gustavo A. Diaz, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

The age at which different people have a facelift depends on many factors including genetics, sun exposure, smoking hisotyr, medical history, etc.  Typically face lifts last between 5-10 years, also dependent on genetics and your tissue integrity. 

Does a facelift last forever?

Hi.  In response to your second question: No, studies show that facelifts have a limited duration, usually about 8-10 years.  But the facelifted patient still looks better than their unoperated peers, even 10 years down the road.

As for the best time to have a facelift, if you are healthy, but are noticing changes in your face related to sagging or drooping of the skin, with prominent nasolabial folds, jowls, or neck laxity - it's perfectly reasonable to have a facelift now.

Best to see a board-certified plastic surgeon in your area to discuss the options.

The Best Age Is When You're Ready

Thanks for your question. Age49 is certainly not too young for a facelift. When I see a patient who is considering some sort of facial rejuvenation, I'm usually quick to remind him or her that aging is a completely unique process for everyone. Everyone ages in ways and at rates that are different from one another, so there are no official age limits for surgery. Based on your concerns, it does sound like you may benefit from a full facelift at this point, as well as possible treatments for the upper part of your face. However, the only way to know for sure is via an in-person consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon. Good luck!

Mark E. Freeman, MD
Idaho Falls Plastic Surgeon

The Best Time For A Facelift

The optimal time for a facelift is if you truly have droopy eyelids, jowling, and loss of skin laxity in your face. In these types of patients fillers no longer work and it is time to do a True “Lift” and “Fill” Facial rejuvenation. This should be done in the hands of a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with expertise in this procedure as well as understanding the science of aging to allow you to have a natural looking result.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Nothing lasts a lifetime.. Without photos it is difficult to evaluate what you are  a candidate for. If you have excess skin in your upper lids- you can have upper blepahroplasty, as well as facelift- if you have excess skin . It is best to seek an experienced Board Certified PS for in person consultation. For more info re/facelift- you can view this link:

Not too young

Experienced surgeons will give you the max surgery they can offer, state of the art. The goal is to reverse signs of aging with a natural look. How you age in the future is programming genetically, surgery doesn’t stop the clock. We have patients who still look great 15 years after surgery.

H. George Brennan, MD, FACS
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hi, the average age of facelifts has dropped over the past 15 years as people become more interested in maintaing a more youtful look consistently than waiting until they are 60 and having a dramatic change.  If you have Jowls, this is the primary indication for a facelift.  The underlying SMAS layer, of the face, must be dissected, lifted, trimmed and re-sutured. The excess skin is then removed and the facelift incisions closed.

My most popular facelift is the minimally invasive, short incision facelift that has all the benefits of more invasive facelifts (traditional, mid-face and subperiosteal facelifts) but with these added benefits:

• very small incisions
  • minimal tissue dissection = less bruising and swelling = rapid recovery
  • can be performed in 90 minutes or less, with or without general anesthesia
  • no incisions within the hair = no hair loss
  • excess fat can be removed
  • excess skin removed
  • cheeks, chin and jaw line can be augmented with dermal fillers (I prefer Perlane) or facial implants
  • most patients fly back home to parts all over the world in as little as 3 days post-op
Hope this helps.