I'm 18 years old, 4'11 and a size 40DDD breast. What will be the appropriate size for me and age for me to get a reduction?

What age should I wait and what would be a realistic size for me?

What will be the appropriate size for me and age for me to get a reduction?

Now! Seriously - I can only imagine the discomfort you must have in terms of neck and back pain.  18 years is plenty old enough to have this procedure.  The amount to be removed is determined by your preference and insurance guidelines based on your height and weight.  I enjoy this procedure so much because it is rapidly life-changing for the patient. They feel lighter and more confident almost immediately, not to mention the alleviation of debilitating discomfort the excess weight of their breasts was causing.  Seek out a board certified plastic surgeon for a consultation to discuss all the risks and benefits of therapeutic reduction mammaplasty, then you can get a plan together to help achieve your goals. All the best to you!

What Age and Size is Appropriate for Breast Reduction?

Breast reduction can accomplish several things in one procedure. The surgeon can reduce the size of the #breasts, make them symmetrical (same size and shape) and complete a lift. By including a lift with the procedure, your surgeon can also assure correct nipple placement and appropriate areolar size. When you reduce the size of the breast tissue, you can eliminate some of the medical complications frequently experienced by women with large breasts, reduce sleeping difficulties, increase your likelihood of finding clothing that fits and improve self image. 
It is impossible to give an exact amount of breast tissue that will be removed prior to the actual procedure. Many surgeons can estimate to let you know if they believe that you are a good candidate for breast reduction #surgery and if insurance should cover it. It is also difficult to reduce breast tissue to an exact cup size. Ultimately the size you choose to #reduce your breast to, is up to you and your surgeon. However, if you are removing enough breast tissue to decrease your cup size several sizes, you should notice a significant difference. Thanks for the question and good luck!

Breast Reduction

Hello,You sound to be a good candidate for a breast reduction. From an aesthetic point of view, the smallest possible size that is safe is best to achieve a long lasting, lifted result. Please visit a few ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeons who specialize in cosmetic breast surgery.Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Scarless breast reduction

you did not mention anything about your weight.At that age if you are on the heavy side you might be an ideal candidate for the liposuction only operation. I hate putting that many scars on a young woman's breast. Find a BCPS in your area that specializes in this operation and at least consider it.

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Size after breast reduction

Your size after breast reduction is dependent on a number of variables. The relationship between the width of the base of the breast and the projection must be maintained in order to have an aesthetic appearance to the breast after surgery. Over resected breasts can appear boxy or flat, the aggressive reduction may sound appealing but symptoms can be relieved and still maintain a pretty breast which will be more satisfying in the long term.Without the benefit of photos or an examination I would say a full C small D would be a reasonable expectation.Seek out a board certified plastic surgeon to evaluate and guide you in your decision making process.Good luck and I hope this was helpful.

Robert W. Kessler, MD, FACS
Corona Del Mar Plastic Surgeon

Large breasts at 18

Juvenile breast hypertrophy is what you have and you can get a reduction that will be covered through your insurance at 18; the youngest patient I have performed this surgery on was 16. Please see results below.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Breast reduction age

You can consider the reduction now and can be reduced to a large C or small D depending upon your anatomy 

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS

Thank you for the question. It is probable that you are dealing with juvenile breast hypertrophy.  In my practice, timing of breast reduction surgery is determined on a case-by-case basis. It is not too early to do your homework and learn as much as possible about breast reduction surgery and the potential risks and complications associated with the procedure. 

It will be important that you learn about the potential risks/complications associated with breast reduction surgery. Unsatisfactory scarring is one of the potential complications. Make sure you also understands that further surgery may be necessary in the future (for example if the breasts were to grow in size again). Some of the risks/potential complications associated with breast reduction surgery include: infection, bleeding, seroma, hematoma, wound healing problems, abnormal scarring ( hypertrophic or keloid), loss of sensation, inability to breast-feed, breast asymmetry, necrosis of tissue or skin, unsatisfactory cosmetic results, unpredictability of exact cup size postoperatively, recurrence of the breast hypertrophy, and the potential for further surgery. other risks related to surgery in general include deep venous thrombosis (clots), pulmonary embolism, pneumonia and even death.

Fortunately, the vast majority of patients who undergo this procedure by well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons and board certified anesthesiologists do very well and complications tend to be relatively minor and treatable. The severe complications are rare. On the other hand, breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform and I think that for the right teenager (enough symptoms) it may be an excellent option (regardless of the age).

When the time is right, seek consultation with well-trained/experienced board-certified plastic surgeons. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work achieving the types of outcomes you would be pleased with.

In regards to breast size desired, also communicate carefully. In my practice the use of goal pictures are helpful in this regard; a discussion of cup size can be confusing and imprecise. Therefore, I would not suggest that you communicate your goals and/or base your satisfaction with the outcome of surgery on achieving a specific cup size.  For example, a "C or D cup" may mean different things to different people.  I also find that the use of pictures is more helpful than the words “natural” or "proportionate” etc., which can (again) mean different things to different people. Many of my patients choose to have enough breast tissue removed to help alleviate symptoms while retaining enough breast tissue to remain proportionate to the remainder of their torso. Again, preoperative communication will be critical.  
I hope this, and the attached link, helps. Best wishes.

Appropriate age for breast reduction

As an 18 year old, you are legally able to provide your own consent for medical procedures.  There are many things to consider before having a breast reduction - improvement of symptoms, shape and size, scarring, the technical aspects of the surgery (and anesthesia), implications for pregnancy or breastfeeding in the future, and having a good support network to help you through the procedure and recovery.  
Many young women successfully undergo breast reduction and are thrilled with their results, but it is so important to make sure that this is the right procedure for you.  Make an appointment for a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon (or two, or three!), and I think you will be able to get a better sense of what is possible for you.
Hope this helps, and take care, Dr. Lim

Angeline Lim, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

I'm 18 years old, 4'11 and a size 40DDD breast.

Without photos, it is difficult to determine an appropriate size reduction for you.  Would recommend that you schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon for you both to discuss your final goals and the size that would look best with the shape of your body. 
Kenneth B. HughesBoard Certified Plastic SurgeonLocations in LA