I have a loose front tooth. What should I do?

I am a 27 year old female who does not smoke. I haven't had any recent tramua. My front tooth is loose and I have been told I need to have root scaling. Is there a chance my front tooth can be saved once I have the root scaling. Since I was diagnosed with minor gum disease, I have been flossing and rinsing with medicated mouthwash. My gums no longer bleed.

Doctor Answers 3

Tooth is loose, does it need to be pulled? #DrSoftTouch

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Based on your history of gum disease, it is very possible that pulling your tooth may be the only option, however; you may want to consult a periodonist to discuss gum and/or bone grafts to save your tooth.  Good luck and I hope this helps. Follow me if you have more questions.
Sarah Thompson, DMD

Act fast

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Gum disease is most harmful when it is deep under your gum tissue and has affected the bone support around your tooth. Even if there is no bleeding or swelling evident around your tooth, deep pockets, tartar, and mobility are indicators that the disease is still there. Please have the periodontal therapy (deep cleaning) completed in a timely manner, otherwise the infection will begin to spread to adjacent teeth and can jeopardize the stability of all of them, not just one.

Michael Tam, BDS
Australia Dentist

I have a loose front tooth. What should I do?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It sounds like by your own admission that you have had a history of peridontal disease.  Long term gum disease not only causes the gums to recede, making the teeth look longer, but also, and more importantly, destroys the supportive bone around the roots of the teeth.  When that happens, the teeth become loose (dentistry, we call it "mobile").  

If that is the case with you, I strongly suggest you have your teeth evaluated by a periodontist.  If caught early enough they can sometimes do procedures to give you back more bone and gum around the teeth.

There is one thing that bothers me, the fact that you are 27 years old is kind of young to have that much bone loss around your tooth to be loose.  You could have a fractured root or a bone abscess that resulted from deep decay on infection.  If that is what is happening, a root canal is oftentimes the procedure that you will need.

Bottom line, see your dentist first and let him diagnose your problem and make the appropriate referral to periodontist or endodontist (root canal specialist) if indicated.

Norman Huefner, DDS
Laguna Niguel Dentist

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.