Are these spitting stitches? (photos)

I'm almost 4 weeks post op breast lift/aug. From pictures I've seen, these look like spitting stitches but a lot of them. I have knots under the skin along incision and I can feel something that feels like a thick string connecting the knots. Is this really bad?What's going on??? Also my breast are still very sore.

Spitting Sutures

Dear alb20,

Yes, those are. Sometimes they will extrude if your body disagrees with the material or if they were placed too superficially. It is more common with some suture types than others. They should be retracted and clipped off or they will act as an entry point for bacteria.

I hope this has been helpful.

Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Suture spitting

Thanks for your inquiry and excellent pictures, your sutures are spitting.  If you were my patient we would remove those for you in the office.  Good Luck.  

Suture Spitting

Yes, that appears to be an unusual amount of suture spitting. Your Plastic Surgeon can remove them for you in office to ensure you heal well. I recommend that you give them a call.

All the best

Spitting Sutures

Yes. Based on your photos it does appear to be spitting sutures. A follow up appointment is needed in order to have those removed. It is very common to have sutures come through incisions.

Spitting Sutures

Dear alb20, 

They do appear to be spitting sutures. I would return to your operating surgeon and have them removed. This is a common occurrence along a surgical incision and typically it is nothing to worry about. Good luck!

Are these spitting stitches?

Thank you for your question. Yes they are sutures. They can be easily removed in your surgeons office. I recommend you to go and see your PS. 

Are these spitting stitches

You are correct and these are just sutures that are spitting at the surface. Your surgeon can clip them for you. 

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Spitting Sutures

Yes, those are sutures that have worked their way to the surface. Be sure to see you PS, so they may remove them. Best, Dr. Kludt

Nathan Kludt, MD
Stockton Plastic Surgeon

Spitting stitches?

They are spitting stitches which have worked their way to the skin surface. Notify your operating surgeon so that they can remove them for you.

Are these spitting stitches after breast surgery?

Yes, these appear to be absorbable sutures that have come to the surface;  best to have your plastic surgeon evaluate and remove. Best wishes.