Breast Augmentation 4 days ago. Fluid in breast, trickling feeling?

I had my breast Augmentation 4 days ago. The 1st day no fluid feeling, 2nd day was tolerable and now I feel the trickling/moving fluid feeling everytime I take a deep breath. If I lay down and sit up it feels like quite a bit moves from the top of my breast to the bottom but also feels like it stays gathered behind nipple. There is little/no bruising. And it doesn't feel like there is any part bulging. What could this be? There is a bit more swelling in this breast but it had more swelling to begin with.

Fluid in breast after augmentation

Thanks for your question.  As others have stated, you will have air and fluid around your implants until your body absorbs it.  However, you should always let your surgeon know of your concerns in case something else is going on.  Best of luck to you and congratulations.  

The Woodlands General Surgeon

Fluid After Breast Aug

Dear Dnic6,

To have some fluid around the implant initially is normal due to inflammation. However, if it becomes excessive it could be what is called a seroma and actually start forcing its way out of the incision. This is more common with a textured implant than a smooth-surfaced implant. Just stay close by your surgeon’s instructions.

I hope this has been helpful.

Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Post Op Fluid In Pocket

This could be a normal aspect of recovery as a small amount of fluid and air can often be felt in the implant pocket early post op. However if you have a significant amount of fluid, if swelling on that side increases or the breast feels firmer it would be best to have an in-person exam.

All the best

Thank you for your question. May be some fluid around implant usually absorbed by your body. I recommend you talk to your PS to discuss your concerns

Breast augmentation recovery

There is probably some fluid around the implant.  It will eventually be absorbed by your body, however whenever you have a concern it is always best to discuss it with your surgeon.  He/She is most familiar with the details of your surgery and how you are progressing through recovery.

Camille Cash, MD

Early breast result

Thanks for your inquiry, but without an exam it is hard to advise. My patients are instructed to call us about questions they have in the early post operative course.  I am sure your surgeon would like to counsel you and address your concerns.  Good Luck.  

Fluid feel post BA

There is air and fluid in the pocket surrounding the implants from the surgery.  This air and fluid get absorbed by the body with time and this sensation should resolve.  It may take a few weeks.  This is not uncommon.

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Post -op Breast Augmentation

This could be normal but to be on the safe side, contact your plastic surgeon for a possible examination. 

Leo Lapuerta, MD

Fluid

Thank you for your question. I believe what you are experiencing is just part of the normal recovery post breast augmentation surgery. I have found that most of the sensations you feel will be gone in 1-2 months. If you have concerns I would recommend you contact your PS. Best of luck

Breast Augmentation 4 Days Ago, Fluid In Breast - What Could It Be?

When the implant pocket is open to the outside during the surgical procedure, operating room air gets into the pocket.  Also, all plastic surgeons lavage the implant pocket with various liquids, most often normal saline.  This decreases the amount of blood or injured cells which could increase the chance of capsular contracture.  A saying known to all plastic surgeons is "the solution to pollution is dilution".  

When the air and the irrigation fluid come together, one feels fluid movement and at times some of my patients have reported, if they touch that area, it feels like bubble wrap.  This is completely normal and the body will absorb both the air and fluid in a matter of days to weeks.  If it continues longer than a week, I recommend you report it to your personal plastic surgeon.