What are the pros and cons of Neck liposuction?

I am having a neck ,fit along with a facelift. The doctor suggested his using liposuction during the neck lift to eliminate excess fat. What are the pros and cons of the lipo? Any added risks?

its a great procedure, minimally invasive, non-scarring but for the right kind of patient. you have to have good skin integrity and preferably the fat should be right under the skin. if the fatty pocket is deeper under the muscles then that has to be excised with a longer incision. I do a fair number of these procedures and its quite gratifying for my patients.

Lipo of neck with facelift?

If you have excess fat in your neck, lipo of the nect may be necessary in order to achieve optimal contours. This is a decision for the surgeon to make. Liposuction of the neck actually facilitates the elevation of the neck skin for the facelift, so it can be a plus from that standpoint as well. When I perform a facelift that does not need liposuction, I find it helpful to undermine, or elevate the skin using a liposuction cannula especially designed for the neck - I just don't connect the suction. It makes for a nice, easy, bloodless elevation of the neck skin later on in the procedure.a

Mark D. Epstein, MD
Stony Brook Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction of the neck

Liposuction of the neck is a good procedure in the right individual.  It is often combined with a facelift. Best of luck.

Neck Lipo pros and cons?

Thank you for your question.  Neck Liposuction can be performed successfully under local anaesthetic therefore minimally risks and invasive, small scar on chin and removing the fatty pocket will leave you with a contoured neck.  Neck Liposuction can be combined with facelift and neck lift.Please find a reputable and qualified surgeon who can assess you properly to give you a realistic idea of what outcome you can achieve.  All The Best

Amir Nakhdjevani, MBBS, MRCS, FRCS (Plast)
London Plastic Surgeon

Removal of excess fat of the neck is part of a facelift.

There really is no downside to removing surplus fat during a facelift. In my practice it's a standard part of the facelift, not  An add on

Liposuction of the Neck

Liposuction is a standard addition to a facelift to treat excess fat in the neck. In some cases, direct excision of fat is also performed especially when additional fat is located below the platysma muscle.

Bryan G. Forley, MD

Neck lift with liposuction

Neck liposuction at the time of a facelift can be very effective in producing an excellent contoured result especially if the fat is above the muscle   This may obviate the need for an incision under the chin and a more extensive procedure.  However if a fair proportion of the fat is under the muscle improvements in  the neck contour may be limited and there is the chance for skin irregularities. If liposuction of the neck is not performed carefully one can be left with crepiness and wrinkling under the chin with too much fat removal. Irregularities and lumps may occur if fat is not removed uniformly However this may be less noticeable when a lower facelift procedure is performed in conjunction with the liposuction procedure

Leonard Miller, MD
Brookline Plastic Surgeon

Pros and cons of neck liposuction

Thanks for you question. There are risks and complications associated with any type of surgery. The board certified plastic surgeon should discuss everything with you in consultation. If your skin is relatively smooth and firm, but you have an accumulation of excess fatty deposits beneath your chin and /or along your jawline, liposuction may be all that is needed to restore a smooth, defined contour to this area. Be sure to visit a board certified plastic surgeon, read reviews, check out before and after photos of patients, etc.

1. Begin with a board certified plastic surgeon and visit several offices
2. Seek a surgeon who does at least 100 of these procedures per year
3. Internet discussions do not replace the advice of your physician

Henry Mentz, MD, FACS