How Long for Cellulitis to Heal S/p Medial Thigh Lift? (photo)

I had medial thigh lift 6 weeks ago. I've had cellulitis since first week. 2 round of both Cipro and Bactrim DS. The worst area is just below buttocks. You can feel sutures under the skin and sometimes when I sit they stab me. They aren't exposed at this point. It's very hard to sit, bend or do my job as an ER RN.

Cellulitis Following Thigh Lift Surgery

The vast majority of wound infections develop in the immediate post-operative period. This typically occurs when small areas of separation occur in the wound closure. This allows bacteria the opportunity to set up along absorbable suture lines. Once established in this location, infection can result in a spreading cellulitis.

The treatment of this condition requires the use of appropriate antibiotics. In this particular case, you've had two treatment courses without success. It might be helpful to culture the wound and tailor the antibiotic choice to the specific bacteria noted. In some cases, removal of the underlying sutures may be necessary, as well.

It's important to maintain close contact with your plastic surgeon. When this type of stubborn infection occurs, it might also be helpful to obtain an infectious disease consultation.

Cellulitis after thigh lift

Thank you for asking about cellulitis after your thigh lift

1. Your pain is from sutures. At six weeks, your thigh lift scar is strong. I remove painful sutures in my patients. Ask your surgeon if this is possible.
  2. Your scars are red but 4 weeks of continual cellulitis is unusual. Is it possible this is an allergic suture reaction? Ask your plastic surgeon if an infectious disease consult might help. Best wishes.

Healing after Thigh Lift

Thigh Lifts are long surgical procedures that carry a higher incidence of wound infection and disruption than many of our other procedures.   You need to , of course, be sure that the right antibiotic is being used.   After that determination via cultures and sensitivities, the antibiotic may well be needed for 4 to 6 weeks.  The thigh lift procedure has its rewards but also has a higher incidence of patient pain complaints that are normal and expected.   I find that 4 to 6 weeks are needed before comfort is attained but this varies.  This will all work out so try to be patient.  My best,  Dr C

Cellulitis after medial thigh lift

Hi Bekiern

Sorry to hear about your ongoing infection. The antibiotics that you are on should be right. The site of that wound sets it up for potential problems.

I would continue on the current antibiotics and stay in close contact with your surgeon. You will likely need to be on the antibiotics for several weeks whilst the sutures dissolve and the wound settles.

Good luck

Dr Gavin Sandercoe

Healing problems with an inner thigh lift

A thigh lift incision can certainly give you some problems.  If you are on the right antibiotic  I would expect cellulitis to start getting better in just a few days.  The problem with this incision is that it stays very moist and retains fluid.  If the sutures get infected they have to be removed.  

Cellulitis and thigh lift

Hi and congratulations on your procedure.

Sorry to hear about your complications.  You are now going on 4 weeks with an infection, with two rounds of infections.  So as a doctor, I am getting concerned.

My opinion is that you need to see your doctor.  Get all of the spitting sutures out (the ones you feel poking you, and any that he can get out with forceps).  Basically, get all of the foreign material out.

Next, be sure that you have cultures to be sure that you are treating with the right atb.  Perhaps an infectious disease consultation is in order?

Finally, the redness is along the suture line and looks like contact dermatitis.  Be sure that you cease use of any antibiotic ointment or adhesives like Mastisol.

Keep in close contact with your doctor.

sek