How long it take for blue and red discoloration on sides of face after facelift to go away?

I am 9 weeks post op facelift. I had hematomas on that side of the face that were not drained until Days 8, 9 and 10. Much of flap is discolored bluish and red. How long can this take to go away? Will it go away eventually? Is there any specific laser to help with this? Will the blue color turn to red before, if it goes away? Avoiding all sun. Please, any help greatly appreciated.

Hematoma will delay healing

Hematomas are not that uncommon, and by definition, when they occur, it can take much longer for healing and bruising (which becomes discoloration) to resolve.  You are about 2.5 months after surgery, well within what I would consider a normal period of healing, so you should have confidence that it will continue to improve.

Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bruising and Discoloration Following a Facelift

The facelift healing process in general can take up to one month for the majority of swelling to subside, incisions to close, sutures to come out, and for bruising to completely go away. #Recovery time from a #facelift varies from person to person, but patients can generally expect to be presentable within three weeks from surgery. Patients should expect swelling, bruising, and discoloration of the skin during this phase of recovery (swelling normally goes down after 48 hours; most bruising will go away within two weeks).

The marks from a facelift can easily hidden with “camouflage” make-up which you can learn how to apply. The scars from a facelift mature within six to twelve months from the surgery date. It is during this time that the rejuvenating effects of the facelift will become apparent and the real result will be seen. If you have certain concerns about the procedures and #healing process, it is recommended to call your board-certified surgeon or their medical staff and discuss those #concerns.

Bruising and Swelling after Facelift

Bruising and discoloration can last for several weeks after face lift. Contact your surgeon to express your concerns and see if you are on track. Good Luck!

Roy A. David, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift hematomas should be drained as soon as possible.

The longer hematoma remains none drains the longer the convalescence consequences. Total resolution of the discoloration may take several more weeks. One would also be concerned about the viability of the skin based on your description.

Discoloration of skin after face lift

I am sorry about your complication. The blood from the hematoma would have stained all the facial tissues. It will take a long time to resolve. I would not do lasers now. I would wait 6 months. If the discoloration is brown, hydroquinone and other skin lightening treatments will help. You should see slow, steady improvement - as long as that continues, things should work out. Best wishes.

Bruising After Facelift Complicated by Hematoma

A Dr. Frodel pointed out, patients who are unfortunate enough to develop hematomas after Facelift generally heal more slowly.  Some patients take medications and/or have subtle coagulation issues that a) predispose them to hematomas, and b) cause prolonged bruising.  Avoid all NSAIDS, vitamin E, green tea, and any exotic vitamins until after the bruising has disappeared.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon