How Long Do Breast Hurt After a BA?

I have 425 saline mod profile unders in both breast. My right is filled to 450 and left filled to 490. Its been eight weeks since surgery and my left is still pretty sore. The implant is feels a little to overfilled and my crease is a little lower then the right. It hurts in the lower part of my breast along with my ribs on that same side. My right feels good, no pain or soreness. Is this normal and how long will it last?

Pain after Breast Augmentation?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Discomfort after any type of surgery will vary from one patient to another depending on many factors including patients' pain threshold, the exact procedure performed, the amount/extent of dissection necessary, surgical technique…

The majority of patients who undergo breast augmentation surgery have significant discomfort for the first 2 to 4 days after surgery.  This discomfort (and requirements for pain medication and muscle relaxant) decreases rapidly on a weekly basis.

Given that your breasts is still “pretty sore” after 8 weeks,  you may want to follow-up with your plastic surgeon for evaluation. He/she will be in the best position to advise you.

Pain after breast augmentation

Pain is one of the greatest misconceptions after breast implant surgery. In my experience patients describe pain as the engorged feeling after breast feeding. There are factors that definitely effect the pain level after surgery and you should discuss these with your surgeon. Perhaps the biggest factor is technique of the surgeon. Almost all patients who have significant pain after  surgery did not have implants placed through an infra mammary incision. The ability to avoid dissection on the rib surface and undue trauma to the muscle and tissues of the breast is important. The surgeon can use long acting local anesthesia blocks as well. The use of Toradol, a non steroidal pain medication, during surgery has been shown to decrease pain as well. Of course the level of pain is individual. However, physiologically the injury caused during surgery is  "pulled" muscle and the body should react the same way regardless of the case of injury. Most of my patients require a narcotic pain medicine for 24-48 hours and then extra strength tylenol for a week or so. They do describe tightness and soreness, sometimes more in one breast than the other. We have not seen the need for pain pumps or prolonged limitations of activity. Check with your surgeon and anesthesiologist for their recommendations, but don't let the fear of pain keep you away. 

How Long Do Breast Hurt After a BA?

Thank you for your question. You are going to see the difference just after the procedure. However it is necessary to wait for some time in order to see the final result. After the breast augmentation operation the recovery period depends on your physical status, age, general health and condition mainly. The operation itself does not take too long therefore you receive a mild anesthesia. Since the anesthesia that you receive is mild; you will not have problems associated with anesthetic agents after the operation. This is especially important and can be achieved with only a team of plastic surgeons like we have. After the operation you will be advised to wear a corset in order to reduce the edema. You can start to do your daily activities just after the operations but we do not advise you heavy lifting, running or activities that require excess physical activity. The more you rest, the faster your recovery will be.

Pain after Breast Augmentation

This is a very normal and common question I get from my patients. From my experience, I can tell you that everyone is different in their recovery. It can vary greatly from patient to patient. Some patients state they are pain free the next day following surgery, while others state they continue to have discomfort 3-4 weeks after their surgery. IF you are complaining of certain areas of pain, and it continue to bother you, I would recommend you talk directly eith your surgeon and address teh specific areas of your concern.   

First 48 hours are the most uncomfortable!

It’s not unusual for patients to experience pain following breast augmentation surgery.This pain is usually related to elevation of the muscles during submuscular breast pocket formation.In addition, spasm of these muscles can contribute to post-operative discomfort as well.
The pain associated with breast augmentation is severe in the first 24 to 48 hours following surgery, but rapidly diminishes with time.We typically use a synthetic codeine derivative called hydrocodone which has a decreased incidence of nausea compared to codeine.We replace narcotic pain relievers with Tylenol as soon as possible following surgery to avoid the potential for drug problems.We also use muscle relaxants in the immediate post-operative period.
Pain tolerance varies from patient to patient following breast augmentation.If you’re considering this procedure, it’s important to discuss pain management with your surgeon prior to surgery.

Depends on patient

It is common for patients to feel pain after their surgery, however it is usually well controlled by prescribed medication. It takes about 3-4 months for the breasts to settle and become more natural in contour, so please wait until then to assess your results. Pain should gradually resolve itself over this time as well, although you should see your surgeon if you are very concerned.

Breast pain after breast augmentation is unusual at 8 weeks after surgery

Thank you for your question. Typically pain after breast augmentation is mostly resolved after 3-4 days with sub-glandular augmentation and by 10-12 days after sub-muscular breast augmentation. Please see your plastic surgeon for an examination and ask the surgeon if he or she detects any abnormality that could be causing pain. If the breast that hurts feels tighter or firmer than the other side and could be a capsular contraction forming.

Breast Pain After Breast Augmentation Surgery

You will continue healing over the next 6-12 months, and as you do so your pain will be less and less.  Sometimes women will have tenderness at the inframammary incisional scar or slightly below it.  This area may feel firm or may even look like a raised “guitar string”.   Anti-inflammatory analgesic like Advil or Naprosyn and massaging of the area can be helpful.  I expect that the pain will go away over time.  Always follow-up with your plastic surgeon so that he or she can determine that your recovery continues on track.

Pain Post Breast Augmentation

I would encourage you to schedule a visit with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to determine the exact source of your discomfort. 

Suzanne M. Quardt, MD
Palm Springs Plastic Surgeon

Could have Seroma, Hematoma, or Infection; Go See Your Surgeon

Thank you for your question. Eight weeks out this should not really be happening. Especially since you have symptoms only on one side, you may have a seroma, a hematoma or an infection. I would go see your surgeon, and ask his advice.