How Long Do Breast Hurt After a BA?

I have 425 saline mod profile unders in both breast. My right is filled to 450 and left filled to 490. Its been eight weeks since surgery and my left is still pretty sore. The implant is feels a little to overfilled and my crease is a little lower then the right. It hurts in the lower part of my breast along with my ribs on that same side. My right feels good, no pain or soreness. Is this normal and how long will it last?

Breast pain after breast augmentation is unusual at 8 weeks after surgery

Thank you for your question. Typically pain after breast augmentation is mostly resolved after 3-4 days with sub-glandular augmentation and by 10-12 days after sub-muscular breast augmentation. Please see your plastic surgeon for an examination and ask the surgeon if he or she detects any abnormality that could be causing pain. If the breast that hurts feels tighter or firmer than the other side and could be a capsular contraction forming.

Pain after Breast Augmentation

This is a very normal and common question I get from my patients. From my experience, I can tell you that everyone is different in their recovery. It can vary greatly from patient to patient. Some patients state they are pain free the next day following surgery, while others state they continue to have discomfort 3-4 weeks after their surgery. IF you are complaining of certain areas of pain, and it continue to bother you, I would recommend you talk directly eith your surgeon and address teh specific areas of your concern.   

Peter J. Capizzi, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

First 48 hours are the most uncomfortable!

It’s not unusual for patients to experience pain following breast augmentation surgery.This pain is usually related to elevation of the muscles during submuscular breast pocket formation.In addition, spasm of these muscles can contribute to post-operative discomfort as well.
The pain associated with breast augmentation is severe in the first 24 to 48 hours following surgery, but rapidly diminishes with time.We typically use a synthetic codeine derivative called hydrocodone which has a decreased incidence of nausea compared to codeine.We replace narcotic pain relievers with Tylenol as soon as possible following surgery to avoid the potential for drug problems.We also use muscle relaxants in the immediate post-operative period.
Pain tolerance varies from patient to patient following breast augmentation.If you’re considering this procedure, it’s important to discuss pain management with your surgeon prior to surgery.

Breast Implant Surgery

Pain is a very personal thing and everyone experiences it differently. I think the first week should be sore, the second week should be a nuisance and after that certain movements should cause pain

Pain after a breast augmentation

Great question -   pain is such a subjective experience - most of my patients are back at work 6-7 days post-op.  But it is certainly possible for the pain to be significant for a longer period of time.  Everyone is different.  That being said, it would be very surprising to me that a patient would have any discomfort whatsoever 8 weeks post-op.  In that situation probably best to follow-up with your plastic surgeon.  Best of luck. 

Soreness after BA

Although soreness can last a little while after surgery, I would still suggest you see your plastic surgeon to talk about your concern. 

Ronald Levine, MD

Breast pain after BA

1. pain is variable 2. it takes 2-3 months for implants to settle and muscles to relax 3. celebrex, motrin, and muscle relaxers can help 4. massage and stretching may help 5. everyone heals differently 6. 4-7 days off from work is common

Post breast augmentation healing

Thank you for the question. You are still in the post operation recovery stage. It is not uncommon to feel pain, itchiness, and slight abnormalities during this period. It usually takes about 8-12 weeks for the wounds to heal and around 4-6 months for the implants to fully settle. It would be best to visit your board-certified plastic surgeon and get a full assessment if you have concerns. Best of luck. Dr. Michael Omidi.

An in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon is the best way to assess your needs and provide true medical advice.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

Recovery After Breast Augmentation

Thank you for your question. I am sorry to hear about your discomfort. I have included some typical expectations of breast surgery recovery and signs to watch for following breast augmentation:

• Stiffness, swelling and bruising in the chest region: These are normal experiences as the skin, muscles and tissue heal. Pain medication and muscle relaxants will help you cope with any discomfort. Consistent sharp pain should be reported to your board-certified surgeon.
  • Hypersensitivity of nipples or lack of sensitivity: This is normal and will gradually resolve over time.
  • A mild to severe itchy feeling of the breasts is possible as healing progresses. An antihistamine like Benadryl can help to alleviate severe, constant itchiness. If the skin becomes red and hot to the touch, contact your board-certified surgeon immediately.
  • Asymmetry, the breasts look different, or heal differently: Breasts may look or feel quite different from one another in the days following surgery. This is normal. No two breasts in nature or following surgery are perfectly symmetrical.
  • Discuss returning to work with your board-certified surgeon, in our office it is typically 3-5 days post-surgery but you may not overexert yourself or do any heavy lifting.
  • You may resume exercise and your normal routine at six weeks unless your surgeon advises otherwise.
I suggest following up with your board-certified plastic surgeon if you are experiencing a lot of discomfort. They will be able to evaluate your breasts and determine next steps. Best of luck!

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Depends on patient

It is common for patients to feel pain after their surgery, however it is usually well controlled by prescribed medication. It takes about 3-4 months for the breasts to settle and become more natural in contour, so please wait until then to assess your results. Pain should gradually resolve itself over this time as well, although you should see your surgeon if you are very concerned.