If I my getting a Tummy tuck and have a gastric band, do I have to get the fill in my band empty?

If I have a tummy tuck and don't have my gastric band emptied dose this affect me in anyway

Lap band and tummy tuck

Thank you for your question. You do not need to change the fill of your lap band prior to tummy tuck surgery. Make sure you consult with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area that is familiar with patients that have lost a significant amount of weight through lap band surgery.

Best Regards,
Dr. Stutman

Gastric band emptying and TT

Thank you for your question. You do not need to empty your Band before TT. Make sure you discuss about band with your PS.

Tummy tuck/abdominoplasty with lap band.

You bring up a very important point. You do not need to remove the fluid from your lap band, but it is very important that you tell your surgeon that you have a lap band. It's very important that they know where the port is and take care not to injure it during the operation. They may need to move it out-of-the-way if it is in the area where the surgeon plans on working.

Joubin Gabbay, MD

Tummy tuck with gastric band in place

You do not need to do anything with your gastric band. Make sure your PS knows you have a band. Any PS that does enough post weight loss surgery will know to avoid the fill port or possibly move it laterally if it is right in the mid-line while they correct your diastasis recti

Jack Peterson, MD
Topeka Plastic Surgeon

It is an option but not a necessity

Lap band fill matters little for sake of tummy tuck.  However only have your tummy tuck if you have lost your desired weight. At that time lap band fill should not matter anyway. 

Vasdev Rai, MD

Gastric band and tummy tuck

It is not necessary to change the amount that your band is filled prior to tummy tuck.   Do mention to your surgeon that you have a band and remind him or her of the port site.  He/she may want to avoid this area during the tummy tuck so that the port isn't damaged.   Best to you.  

Joseph Franklin, MD
Durham Plastic Surgeon

Lap Band Fill and Tummy Tuck

My experience differs with the other answers to this question based on my experience.  Basically, your individual situation will dictate what the best course of action will be.

-Your abdomen will be tighter after surgery and this can increase the feeling of fullness and restriction from your band. If you are currently "tight"  or have any history of getting things like bread or meat "stuck" then I suggest emptying the band.

-You may develop nausea or vomiting after surgery from the anesthesia or pain meds. This can be a problem and cause swelling of the stomach around the band. I have seen this issue several times and it can take a while to settle down.

-You will need increased calories after surgery to promote healing, especially if you are considering a more extensive procedure. A tight band can interfere with you getting your nutrition in, plus the meds you will be taking.

-Interestingly, when I have emptied  bands there is often less fill than the bariatric surgeon or patient believed. Probably because of slow leakage of saline or a "miss" during the fill procedure. Unfill gets you a chance to reset your adjustments.

Tummy tuck is also a chance to reseat the port, as it often becomes loose after weight loss.

Best

Dr L

John LoMonaco, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck and gastric band

Hi, Melita40.
You should not need to deflate or empty the band prior to tummy tuck.  However, depending on the tightness of your band, you will get full faster after surgery.
Best wishes with your tummy tuck.

Tummy tuck after gastric band surgery

Your gastric band procedure should not have any impact on your tummy tuck.  You might have some scar tissue from where the port sites were placed from your gastric band, but the tummy tuck procedure itself does not get anywhere close to the actual band.  Good luck!

Josh Waltzman, MD, MBA
Long Beach Physician

Do I have to empty my band for TT?

No, you do not need to have your band emptied.  There will be a port that your plastic surgeon will have to watch out from when doing the tummy tuck surgery, but otherwise you should be fine.  Best of luck!

Jeffrey A. Sweat, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon