I am 8 weeks pregnant and had Botox 12 weeks ago, I did not know I was pregnant. Is this harmful to my baby?

I had Botox for hyperhidrosis about 12 weeks ago, I recently found out I am 8 weeks pregnant. I did not know I was pregnant at the time, I am very concerned it will affect my baby. Can Botox affect my baby?

Botox and Pregnancy

The fact is that botox has not been studies in pregnancy but likely will not harm your baby.  Please follow closely with your ob during the course of the pregnancy and avoid any cosmetic procedures at this time.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Is Botox before pregnancy harmful to baby?

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your pregnancy!  Though no studies have been done assessing this scenario, many women have become pregnant while their Botox was still active with no ill effects to the baby.  I would inform your ob/gyn that this has occurred but no increased monitoring will be needed.  Hope this helps.

Botox treatments and subsequent pregnancy

While Botox is generally not recommended during and after pregnancy, there is no evidence that Botox treatments prior to pregnancy have any negative effect on the mother or the new baby. You were not pregnant when you got your Botox treatment.
At the same time, please infirm you pregnancy doctors so that they are aware and able to consul you further.
Best regards and I hope that help, Dr. Sapijaszko

Mariusz Sapijaszko, MD, FRCPC
Edmonton Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox and Pregnancy

Since you had the Botox injections before your pregnancy I would be less concerned at this point.  I would make your Ob-gyn of your injections. Botox is obviously not recommended during pregnancy itself.  Best, Dr. Green

Hello Penelope2105,

Congratulations on the little one.  Since you had your Botox 12 weeks ago and you are only 8 weeks pregnant, you have nothing to worry about.  However, you should not receive any more treatments during pregnancy (or while breast feeding).  There haven't been studies specifically evaluating pregnancy and Botox treatments (and for safety reasons there never will be), but there have been many women who were treated before they found out they were pregnant without issues.  If you are concerned I'd recommend you discuss this with your obstetrician.

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Can Botox effect the fetus?

Congratulations on your pregnancy. Since you received the Botox injections prior to conception, no harm will come to your baby. Even if you had Botox injected while pregnant the risks are very low. Inform your obstetrician of your concerns.
Good luck, 

Botox during pregnancy

Thank you for your question penelope2105. Congratulations! Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expression. It can also be used for excessive sweating, or hyperhidrosis, in the underarms, palms, and soles. The safety and efficacy of Botox has not been tested in women who are pregnant or breast feeding. To my patients I recommend discontinuing such cosmetic treatments at least three months before trying to get pregnant. Please follow up with your doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Botox shouldn't affect other areas of the body

It is unlikely that there will be any effect on your child. Botox has never been studied in pregnant women, simply because pharmaceuticals companies do not want to endure risk to study a cosmetic treatment. However, Botox in theory shouldn’t interact with parts of the body that are located that far apart (underarms and abdomen).

Mitchell Chasin, MD
Livingston Physician

Thank you for your question. There are no studies to confirm that Botox will or will not harm your baby. That being said, this is an extremely common concern. Many women have had Botox without knowing they were pregnant. 

Hope this helped, 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Botox before pregnancy

There are general recommendations to avoid Botox injections during and after pregnancy. 
If you have already had Botox injections and then get pregnant, you and your baby are very likely safe.

I say "very likely" because there are no studies (for very good reason) available. Botox, in theory, stays in the muscles where it was injected. Just to be safe, keep your obstetrician aware. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon