Will my extracted hair from a transplant grow back or even out eventually? (photo)

Picture below is a section of the hairs extracted I can't see hairs are re growing but yet after looking online and not seeing much hair it's concerning wether it will go back to being normal and even out with my side hair. Just had a beard transplant around 10 days ago. Hair extracted from the back of my head is extreamly patchy, I understand it's only 10 days in but is there a risk this can stay permenant as it looks intense and really alarming.

Donor Area patching

At 10 days post operative, you may simply be experiencing shock loss in the donor.  Give it a little time before you become concerned.  If your are concerned at 3-4 months that the hair isn't coming back, you can speak with the physician and review the donor under a scalp analyzer for density.  The hair that was moved to your beard obviously won't come back in the donor area, it should grow on in your beard. However, hopefully the physician was selective in harvesting and didn't get greedy in one area, thus over harvesting it.

Over Harvested FUE or Large Punch Usage.

Yes there are a few risks that most inexperienced clinics will not tell you or not even know themselves. One thing is that if there was a punch used that is greater than 1.0mm then you risk larger white dots or scarring. Another risk is if too many follicles were extracted in one single area (over harvested) or a large are close together. Another risk is shock loss in the donor for which is exceedingly rare. Or a combination of all of these. If this has occurred then yes this alarming look could be potential. However lets hope that you are just 10 days out and have not had significant regrowth this early in the healing although you should if not soon. The second hope is that this is merely shockloss whereupon you will get a return of growth in 3 months time. And finally lets hope that large punches, close proximity extractions or over harvesting occurred. Please keep us informed! 

William Woessner, MD
New Orleans Hair Restoration Surgeon

Allow the surrounding hairs in the donor area to grow for at least 1-2 months

Hairs that have been extracted will not grow back. However, please keep in mind it has only been 10 days since your procedure. Allow the surrounding hairs in the donor area to grow for at least 1-2 months. Your hair seems to be dense and may fill in very nicely.

Craig L. Ziering, DO
West Hollywood Hair Restoration Surgeon

Will my extracted hair from a transplant grow back or even out eventually?

Greetings. Thank you for your question.

To obtain alive hair follicles implanted in higher rates, the latest technique being used is not the only manner, it is also affected by compliance of implantation area that we found a better way to improve as a result of our researches, The Organic Hair Transplantation. By this new and unique Organic Hair Transplantation Technique, before the extraction and implantation processes; we regenerate the implantation area with injection of stem cell enriched fat tissue. Regeneration of cells in target area before FUE transplantation with the support of stromal stem cells results in higher rate of alive thicker hair follicles.

Organic Hair Transplantation is a surgical technique that moves individual hair follicles from a part of the body called “donor site” to bald or balding part of the body known as the “recipient site”. Grafts containing hair follicles that are obtained from genetically resistant to balding area transplanted to the bald scalp by latest minimally invasive technique. One of the most important reasons of the hair loss is the decreased quality of the scalp. Therefore to make the only transplantation would provide only a limited benefit without improving the quality of the scalp. In the “Organic Hair Transplantation”

Why should I have Organic Hair Transplantation?

Stem cells are one of the most popular topics in the science area and it is a well-known fact that the life was built on the shoulders of these cells. Stem cells are used in treatment of many diseases today. Aesthetic plastic surgery is another area that stem cells are used for their advantages. Stem cells are obtained from the own adipose tissue of the patient. It can be stated that stem cells transferred to another place in the body yields rejuvenating, refreshing and repairing effects on the tissue. “Organic Hair Transplantation” method uses the advantages of the stem cells at the maximum level.

SHOW LESS

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Extreme patchy appearance after FUE surgery may be permanent. This is an issue with FUE surgery that is not

Extreme patchy appearance after FUE surgery may be permanent.  This is an issue with FUE surgery that is not well known or discussed.  FUE is not a scarless surgery.

You should wait a few months to see if it may improve.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Extracted hair

no , it will not regrow hair that are taken from recipient area . But area will be denser end much better in 3-4 months and you have no problem about appearance of back of head 

Ilhan Serdaroglu, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Over Harvesting Is A Problem

The photo you show may be a result of over harvesting. Only time will tell. If you wear your hair longer it may hide the thinning, if the thinning does persist. See your doctor in followup over the next year. In general, always seek the advice of a well respected full time hair restoration surgeon. Remember an automated FUE device is not a replacement for an experienced hair transplant surgeon.

Brian Goertz, MD
Seattle Hair Restoration Surgeon

Patchy Hair after FUE

It looks like you may have had some areas which were over harvested with fue.   It is still too early to tell as some of the scar tissue may very well contract to give you a better long term outcome.  If after 3-6 months you haven't improved, you can consider scalp micropigmentation which should help conceal the area nicely.    

Ryan Welter, MD
Boston Hair Restoration Surgeon

Concerned with thin donor after FUE beard hair transplant, will it grow back?

ytb7,

I hope that the area was not over harvested. The extracted follicles should not re-grow in the donor area, unless the extraction was incomplete. Time will tell, you will need to allow enough time for the donor area to recover and grow back.Visibly thin donor areas can be minimized with good donor extraction planning.

Bernardino A. Arocha, MD

Bernardino Arocha, MD
Houston Hair Restoration Surgeon

It looks like you had a manual FUE procedure

It is relatively early so thing should get better, but the hair that is gone is gone. Nothing will grow back. It appears that you had a manual FUE procedure.  The worst case scenario is that the area was over-harvested and may look a bit "moth-eaten." This can be avoided by either being EXTREMELY diligent while harvesting to make sure this doesn't happen or use a robotic harvest such as ARTAS.  The fix is either grafting (the most expensive option) or micropigmentation. Before choosing, give it time and consider how short you want your hair.  Good luck.

Robert S. Houser, DO
Columbus Plastic Surgeon