Ethnic Asian nose - rhinoplasty or alarplasty alone? (photos)

Hi, My main concerns are the width of my nose (especially when I smile) and also the unevenness of my nostrils. I also don't like the flatness of my columella from certain angles. Would my concerns be addressed with just an alarplasty or would you recommend a full rhinoplasty? And how extensive would the procedure be? I am happy with the general shape of my nose and I only want a small enhancement. But I don't want to look like I just pinched my nose with a clothespin either. Please advise! :)

Asian Rhinoplasty

Based on your photos, it would be a mistake to simply perform alar base modification.  There is an important relationship between the proportion of the width of the nostrils relative to the width of the tip, and if the nostril width is reduced without addressing the width of the tip - it will appear even more bulbous in comparison.   Given the thickness of your skin, you will need some degree of tip projection to achieve a refined tip.  Without projection it will be difficult to see the changes made underneath the skin.

Asian Nose

You do have pretty good nasal tip but the tip is wide and round, and the columella is short and does not extend low.  Also, the bridge of the nose is flat as well. Nostrils are thick and wide. I would recommend raising the bridge a little; reducing the tip width; and augmentation of the columella with a graft.  By augmenting the columella, on a profile view, you will see stronger columella. 

Alex Kim, MD

Rhinoplasty, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.

The harmony between facial parts makes us instinctively recognize the beauty... without knowing it, without defining it, just a perception that surprises and captivates us.

In this regard, I suggest perform a Closed Rhinoplasty (without visible scars) to treat the tip, base and nasal bridge.
With this procedure you get a delicate nose, better harmonize with your other facial features.

Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Ethnic Asian nose - rhinoplasty or alarplasty alone?

Hello mytrueface,
Thanks for your question.
Unfortunately, alarplasty alone will not create all that you want.  You may be able to have success with alarplasty and tip rhinoplasty alone, if the bridge of your nose doesn't bother you.  If the bridge bothers you also, then full rhinoplasty with radix augmentation would make sense.
The goal of all rhinoplasty is harmony.  That means different things to different people.
An in-person exam and rhinoplasty evaluation with an expert in Asian rhinoplasty is recommended to best understand your options.
Alarplasty and tip rhinoplasty are relatively easy recoveries.
Full rhinoplasty is a bit more difficult, but in the end still straight-forward in terms of recovery.
I hope this was helpful.
Dr. Shah

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon