Dr used Radiesse on my tear troughs - noodle lumps and white. I'm heartbroken. Do I get non permanent filler to fix it? (photo)

I researched juvederm and resta for a year and silly me, i thought those were the only two fillers avaiable. As my doctor was about to do the injection, i noticed the packaging for the filler. I had never heard of Radiesse and he assured me it was ' a new filler around. Just doesnt have the advertising power of juvederm.' He did not tell me it was permanent. I now have a noodle bump were the tear trough was and the lump is so raised, its caused a shadow underneath. i'm 23 how can i fix this?

Tear Trough Injection with Radiesse

Radiesse is a very firm filler with great lifting ability which is unsuitable for the tear trough region.  It ha been available in the country in various forms since 2004 and was FDA approved for use in the nasolabial folds in 2006.  The lumps will resolve in time, but will require patience.  Now that you are "experienced" in a way that no patient wishes to be, seek out a more appropriate filler for this region such as Restylane, Belotero, or Volbella with an experienced injector.

Tear Trough Injection with Radiesse

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

To answer your question

I recommend that you apply manual pressure over the first week after treatment and gently massage the bump to blend it into the surrounding tissue.  However, a consultation will be necessary to give you a definitive recommendation and further discuss your options.

To answer your question

Radiesse Lumps in Tear Trough

Hyaluronidase combined with 5fu injections help, I often combine this treatment with venus legacy in a series and fractional laser or radiofrequency.  Once the lumps are gone, you can use an HA type filler (restylane or belotero etc) with cannulas to limit complications.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Radiesse Lumps in Tear Trough

Radiesse in tear troughs

I am sorry you have a result you don't like.  

First, Radiesse is not a permanent filler, so the lumps should resolve in time.  Unfortunately, it may take 1-2 years for the lumps to go away.  The timing depends on the amount and  depth the doctor injected the filler.  

Second, Radiesse is not generally injected in the tear troughs.  At GoldinSkin, we inject Belotero into tear troughs.   This is a hyaluronic acid filler with fine particles that fills in the tear troughs when injected just over the bone in small amounts.  We take precautions to avoid lumps.

Harry Goldin, MD
Skokie Dermatologist

Radiesse in tear troughs

Harry Goldin, MD
Skokie Dermatologist

Radiesse under eyes

Radiesse is not my first choice under the eyes. However it is also not permanent. It can last up to a year. For now I would recommend massage to soften the lump and blend it into the surrounding tissue. It should improve with time. Good luck.

Radiesse under eyes

Radiesse in tear troughs

The good news is that Radiesse is not permanent. The bad news is it will take years to fully dissolve, and cannot be easily reversed (as can be done with hyaluronic acid fillers). 

Blending the the edges with Restylanr can improve your result quite a bit so you can look good while the Radiesse is dissolving. 

Radiesse in tear troughs