Botox appears weaker at the new place I'm going - how and why?

Botox difference and weaker from place to place - can I ask them ? I don't want to appear rude but the new place appears to be weaker as I usually notice a difference in 2 days but it's been 4 and no difference at all - I know it's early days but just seems the new place is not as strong - I don't understand why or how ? Are there different strengths ? I just want what I paid for - more expensive where I am and appears less

Botox dose

Thank you for your question dizzie70. Botox is a great treatment for addressing various wrinkles on the face. It is important to know the dose of Botox used for your treatment. When patients come to my office having done Botox before, I ask them if their results were good, and if so what the dose was. In this was we can use the dose that worked. Most offices will have records of how much Botox was used and this information is valuable. In our office we guarantee our patients' results if they get the recommended dose. So if it is not perfect after two weeks, we provide additional units at no extra charge.
Most people see the results of their Botox treatment three to seven days after the treatment and sometimes it takes two weeks to see full results. I have had patients who usually see results in a few days but sometimes it takes the full two weeks. I recommend consulting with your doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Encino Physician

Different Approaches, Different Results

This is a good question, and one that can have a few possible answers. The most likely explanation is that your new practitioner is simply more conservative with the number of units used. Unless you know the precise number of units in your most recent session versus the number of units your previous injector used, it's impossible to know whether they're using a diluted form. Asking your current injector about that it seems perfectly appropriate. Best of luck.

Suzanne Bruce, MD
Houston Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox injection and dosing

I think that you should discuss your concerns with your injector. Mention your thoughts and ask how many units were injected. Comparing # of units used with your prior injections will help you understand why your results maybe different. The new injector may also have used a conservative dose while determining what is the optimal dose for you. You can always have more injected if the dose is too little but if the dose is too much, it cannot be reversed. 

Great question,
It depends on how many units they are using per area.  It also matters on the dilution rate that the provider is using.  I would ask the provider how many units you are receiving and what his dilution rate of the botox.
They should be able to provide you with an honest answer if they are a reputable establishment.

Weaker BOTOX

How strong the botox will relate to how many units you received. Also Botox has a suggested formula for mixing but some providers have different preferences.  You should try to keep track of how many units and what brand of botox was used.

Jean Keamy, MD
Westborough Ophthalmologist

Thank you for your excellent question. If you have an idea as to the number of units you received at your previous injector you may wish to compare that total to the amount you received at your last treatment.  Your new place may have been conservative in their Botox administration in order to not leave you with an overdone appearance.  Voice your concerns, they should be willing to help you get the results you expect, and it may just be a case of needing a touch-up.  Hope this helps.

Did I Get Weak Botox?

I always tell my patients it's important to know how many units were injected, not how much was paid in total. Doctors dilute Botox differently. When patients pay "per area" it's a shot in the dark as to how much Botox was actually injected. I don't like the "per area" concept as I feel it can be deceptive for unknowing patients. You should not feel rude. It is your body and you are allowed to know what went into it. Ask your doctor how many units your received. If s/he can't give a definitive answer or becomes defensive, don't go back. 

Additionally, it may take up to 10 days for you to get your full Botox effect

Millicent Odunze-Geers, MD, MPH
Sacramento Physician

Botox dose

Onset of action is different with Dysport, it usually kicks in faster in 1-3 days. Allergan Botox and Xeomin brands can take 7-10. Also you want to be sure you are getting same number of units in an area as you got before at the other location. If at 7-10 days you are not satisfied speak with your injector about number of units used in each area and find out from former injector what they did as well.
Best
Lisa Vuich, MD

Lisa Vuich, MD
Nashua Physician

Weaker Botox

First thing to say as you have correctly pointed out , 2 days is very early to see the effects of the toxin. However , it is possible your new injector is using a different brand, dilution or storage. You may want to find this out by asking them.