I received botox today and I'm still breast feeding my 7 month old. Is he going to be ok?

I breast fed him an hot after receiving the injections and am stressing out!

Botox while breastfeeding

I am sure your physician did not know you were breastfeeding, and there is no evidence of any harm. You should probably pump your breasts and discard the milk, just once should be fine, to be safe.

Botox while breast feeding

Botox is contraindicated for pregnant or nursing mothers.  I would stop breast feeding and consult your pediatrician.  

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Botox and Breast Feeding

Botox is contraindicated during pregnancy and during breast feeding.  Please consult your pediatrician.

Botox and Breast Feeding

Botox is contra-indicated if you are breast feeding and I do not treat women if they are breast feeding.  While I personally believe you are unlikely to risk injury to your 7month old, I would recommend that you stop breast-feeding.

Jeffrey C. Poole, MD
Metairie Dermatologic Surgeon

Breastfeeding and Botox

Although Botox use is not approved during breastfeeding I do not really think that there is any harm to worry about with the small amounts used for cosmetic purposes. I would not use Botox on a breast-feeding mom because it is not approved and because of liability issues but I did use it myself when I was breastfeeding. 

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist

Botox for a woman still breast feeding.

The injection of botox is contraindicated during pregnancy and post-partum in the breast feeding period.  If this occurs, one should consult with their pediatrician. As a general concept, a woman that is breast feeding should avoid all but essential, and physician approved, medications.

Timothy Connall, MD

Botox while breast feeding

Did you tell your injector that you were still breast feeding? There are no studies to show the effect of Botox on pregnant or breast feeding women and there never will be, because such studies are unethical. It is also highly unethical for an injector to knowingly give Botox to someone who is pregnant or breast feeding. There's really not much you can do about it now, but in the future please do not get Botox or let anyone else give you Botox if you are pregnant or nursing.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

Botox and breast feeding is a NO NO

Whhhhhhhhyyy did you do this? And why did someone agree to inject you? I absolutely do not recommend Botox while breast feeding. The bottom line is that we don't think it would affect anything, but we simply do not know. You should NOT get Botox while breast feeding no matter what. I'd consult your baby's pediatrician immediately. And shame, shame, shame on the person who agreed to inject you while you are still breastfeeding!

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Botox while nursing.

I have never given botox for nursing patients or those who are pregnant or planning to get pregnant.  The chance of any problem is very low, but not worth the risk in my opinion.  I would talk to your pediatrician for reassurance/guidance.  The botox generally stays very local to the site of the injection site, and doesn't spread systemically to any significant degree.  

John R. Burroughs, MD
Colorado Springs Oculoplastic Surgeon