Swollen nearly 3 months after surgery. Is this normal?

Is it normal to still be really swollen 2 months about a, what I think is, small cosmetic procedure? I had a fleur de lis TT last June and he finished up the belt (lbl) in February. I cannot fit a good portion of my clothes.

A "small" cosmetic procedure?

A fleur-de-lis abdominoplasty followed by a completion lower body lift is pretty far from a "minor" procedure.  That's major surgery with some real recovery time associated.  You could have swelling, or you could have a seroma.  Or something else entirely.  Please see your plastic surgeon for evaluation.

Dr. Kavali

Swollen nearly 3 m\onths after surgery. Is this normal?

There is likely some swelling at two months post operative. However, you should address your concerns with your surgeon to ensure there are no complications. 

Regards, 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Swelling after surgery

Unfortunately, swelling is just part of all cosmetic procedures. The length of time in which it hangs around  can vary from person to person. Only being two months out of a belt surgery is still very early. I would expect some residual swelling for 6 months or so. It is hard to make an exact determination without an in person examination. Give it some more time, it will all work itself out.

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Swelling at two months after surgery

Dear Veyonce88:

Trunkplasty procedures are not minor surgeries, and they disrupt the deep tissues as a matter of course to give the dramatic results that people want. So, no, I would not think that persistence of surgical swelling at just 8 weeks after what you had done (which sounds like it was actually two surgeries in a span of 8 months) seems out of the ordinary to me. Check with your surgeon for advice about how to treat this if they think it extraordinary for your stage of recovery--massage will certainly be a part of the recommendation for what to do, and wearing a compression garment may be advised also (or even some external ultrasound treatments). Be guided by your surgeon's advice, and good luck!.

James H. Scheu, M.D.

James H. Scheu, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Swollen three months after surgery

Thank you for your question and congratulations on completing your lower body lift.  As long as the swelling has shown consistent improvement over the last three months this is likely normal and your body needs more time to mature in its results.  If you had liposuction performed at the same time this would also delay complete resolution of your swelling.  It would be important to voice your concerns to your surgeon to ensure no other issues are taking place - discrete fluid collection, residual adipose tissue, or muscle laxity.  Hope this helps

Swelling 2 months out

This can be due to excess swelling that some people may develop and it should go down in time and for some people it means months.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after 3 months post op. Some advices:

Thanks for the question. 
I suggest you to send your photos to us to give you the advices you need. 
Kind regards, 
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Swelling at 3 months

Thank you for the question.  It would be hard to assess your situation without a pictures and an in person examination.  It is not uncommon to be swollen in the first 8-12 weeks after surgery but it should be at a minimal by now.  It would be best to consult with your board-certified plastic surgeon regarding your concerns.  Best of luck, Dr. Michael Omidi.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

Without before and after pictures it is impossible to make a recommendation.  Patients can still experience some swelling for several weeks after surgery.  It's best to follow up with your surgeon so he can monitor your progress.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD