How long does it take for the vein to break down after sclerotherapy?

Is the vein supposed to close down right after getting the injections or does it take a while to do so?

Time for veins to breakdown after sclerotherapy

Most veins will be cleared by 4-6 weeks, but some can take as much as 10-12 weeks to clear. As far as reinjecting a vein that has been treated, visual inspection can be used to make a decision, but I generally don't reinject prior to 6 weeks.

Portland Physician

How long does it take for a vein to break down after sclerotherapy?

Thank you for your question.  I generally tell patients it can take up to 4 weeks for a vein that is injected to go through it's entire process of breaking down and healing.  I don't reinject an area for at least 4 weeks after the last sclerotherapy treatment.  Spider veins may need to be injected after 4 weeks of the first spider vein treatment in to take care of any remaining spider veins.  Best of luck to you!

Chad Robbins, MD

Time for veins to breakdown

I agree that it can take anywhere from 2-6 weeks for the closed veins to be broken down and absorbed by the body.  Generally the larger the vein, the longer it will take to be absorbed.  Usually larger veins will look bruised or darkened and may feel lumpy and tender to the touch.  This is an indication that the vein is actually closed and will eventually go away. 

Lisa Perez, MD
Atlanta Physician

Time for sclerotherapy.

When doing sclerotherapy I tell patients that some veins will disappear immediately, some will resolve over 6 weeks and some will not resolve at all.  I schedule follow up sclerotherapy 6 weeks after the initial treatment. Most spider veins will resolve between one and three treatments and some will recur. Spider veins are generally a forever problem.

John Landi, MD
Naples General Surgeon

Sclerotherapy and Veins

I suggest you speak to an expert in sclerotherapy and laser treatment of veins. I give veins 2 weeks after injection to know if the treatment is working.  Best, Dr. Emer.