How long does it take for the vein to break down after sclerotherapy?

Is the vein supposed to close down right after getting the injections or does it take a while to do so?

Sclerotherapy

Thank you for your question. Sclerotherapy involves an injection of a chemical that will cause your vein to contract and become scarred internally. The vein will disappear from your body after some time. Generally, it takes about 8-10 weeks for the vein to disappear. Please make sure you seek treatment from a board-certified dermatologist.

Sclerotherapy and what to expect

Sclerotherapy involves an injection of a solution directly into those visible veins, and while they will begin to close immediately, full results won’t be seen until after a 12-16 weeks when the body has enough time to eat up of the vein.
During the first week, you’ll need to wear compression stockings in order to prevent the veins from refilling with blood. Sclerotherapy is considered the gold standard for superficial reticular and telengiectatic vein destruction, as it is a quick, safe, and effective procedure that involves minimal downtime and discomfort.

Sabrina Fabi, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Expectations after sclerotherapy

Generally sclerotherapy improves the appearance of unsightly veins but generally can get a bit worse before the vein closes off and fades away.  This time period last about a 1 week and can extend several months if discoloration appears.  Compression along with proper concentration and technique can speed up the recovery and improve outcome. Several treatments may be needed to get the desired appearance.  

Ivan Brooks, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Venasmart stockings for your varicose veins

Wearing compression stockings will help with resolution of the veins after sclero. I would start with Venasmart compression stockings as soon as possible. It may take weeks to resolve. 

Dr. Karamanoukian

Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Sclerotherapy Result Times

Depending on the product used for the sclerotherapy and how your body is reacting to it, it can take anywhere from two weeks to a month to start seeing some results. Keep in mind, depending on the skill level and expertise of the surgeon, you may or may not see results off of the first try. It is important to be consistent with your treatments to get the best results.

My best,
Dr. Elkeeb

Laila Elkeeb, MD, FAAD
Corona Del Mar Dermatologic Surgeon

Time for veins to breakdown after sclerotherapy

Most veins will be cleared by 4-6 weeks, but some can take as much as 10-12 weeks to clear. As far as reinjecting a vein that has been treated, visual inspection can be used to make a decision, but I generally don't reinject prior to 6 weeks.

Derek Norcom, MD
Portland Physician

How long does it take for a vein to break down after sclerotherapy?

Thank you for your question.  I generally tell patients it can take up to 4 weeks for a vein that is injected to go through it's entire process of breaking down and healing.  I don't reinject an area for at least 4 weeks after the last sclerotherapy treatment.  Spider veins may need to be injected after 4 weeks of the first spider vein treatment in to take care of any remaining spider veins.  Best of luck to you!

Chad Robbins, MD

Time for veins to breakdown

I agree that it can take anywhere from 2-6 weeks for the closed veins to be broken down and absorbed by the body.  Generally the larger the vein, the longer it will take to be absorbed.  Usually larger veins will look bruised or darkened and may feel lumpy and tender to the touch.  This is an indication that the vein is actually closed and will eventually go away. 

Lisa Perez, MD
Atlanta Physician

Time for sclerotherapy.

When doing sclerotherapy I tell patients that some veins will disappear immediately, some will resolve over 6 weeks and some will not resolve at all.  I schedule follow up sclerotherapy 6 weeks after the initial treatment. Most spider veins will resolve between one and three treatments and some will recur. Spider veins are generally a forever problem.

John Landi, MD
Naples General Surgeon

Sclerotherapy and Veins

I suggest you speak to an expert in sclerotherapy and laser treatment of veins. I give veins 2 weeks after injection to know if the treatment is working.  Best, Dr. Emer.