I can't tell if my veins are making any progress with Sclerotherapy?

I had sclerotherapy done nearly three weeks ago and I can't tell if veins are improving. Parts of the veins have disappeared but the rest sometimes looks worse, other times a little better .. is this normal? Could the veins still be closing and clotting this far post treatment? My veins get pretty achy at times too, especially in the past week.

Sclerotherapy results

It is still too early to determine the results of your treatment. Everything you have described is very normal and expected.  Generally the improvement will be evident and significant around week 8 and continue to improve over the next few months.  Patience along with good technique by the treating physician is key to a nice cosmetic outcome.  

Beverly Hills Physician

What to expect after sclerotherapy

After the treatment, the appearance of your veins may look worse before it improves. Bruising is common and should resolve with time. For best results, I recommend wearing compression stockings for 1 week after the procedure. Typically, patients will start seeing results 4-6 weeks after treatment. Multiple treatment sessions may be needed depending on the severity of the spider veins.  

Sclerotherapy and Venasmart stockings

It sounds like you have a normal process going on. I would advocate Venasmart compression stockings and gentle massage. 

Dr. Karamanoukian

Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Time to improve with sclerotherapy

There are many factors involved in determining the time it takes for a vessel to resolve after sclerotherapy, including size and location of the vessel, previous treatment, type of sclerosant, and accuracy of injection. There are generally 2 peaks of improvement, the 6 week mark and the 3-4 month mark. Persistent vessels at 4 months will likely not improve much. 

Best to you,

Dr. Norcom

Derek Norcom, MD
Portland Physician

Sclerotherapy and time.

Sclerotherapy is a process.  Some veins disappear immediately, some resolve over about 6 weeks and some may not resolve and will need additional treatments.  3 weeks post treatment is too early to see the final results.  At 6 weeks post treatment follow up with your treating physician for reevaluation.

John Landi, MD
Naples General Surgeon

Progress Report with Sclerotherapy

It may take a few sessions for improvement and it is common to have bruising, swelling and some achiness post sclerotherapy.  You should be wearing compression for a few weeks. Please follow up with your physician. Best, Dr. Emer

Sclerotherapy can take a while to work, also make sure you have been evaluated for venous re flux, if you have venous re flux the veins will not disappear with just sclero alone, good luck!!

Jonathan Weiler, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

After sclero.

hello the normal progression of sclerotherapy occurs over 3 to 6 months. In the first several weeks bruising aching and bumps is quite normal.  it's very difficult to see your results especially before six weeks.  at this point patience is key to see what happens if you're still concerned please see your vein specialist 

Jordan Knepper, MD
Ann Arbor Vascular Surgeon