Does Liposuction Leave Scars?

if so, how long would they take to heal for a patient under 25? is it true that special garments must be worn(for inner thigh lipo) and for how long must they be worn? if it is not alot of fat that is being removed?

Liposuction Incisions and Compression Garment

Yes, incisions are necessary to perform the liposuction procedure and these will leave scars. However, they are generally short and are placed in discreet locations. 

I generally advise patients wear their garment 24 hours a day for three weeks, removing it only when bathing or washing it. From 3 to 6 weeks, wear your garment in the day only. It helps with easing swelling and reducing the risk of seroma. The garment should fit snugly but not to the point that you can't breathe or are feeling sore. It's best to follow your PS's advice or express your concerns directly to them so that they may respond.

The final result of liposuction can usually be assessed at 3-4 months.

Lipo Leaves Small Scars

Please be aware that my comments here are general and can’t be taken as specific medical advice. Thanks for your question. Liposuction is technically surgery, and all surgery causes scarring of some type or another. Happily, today’s liposuction cannulas fit through very small incisions. Additionally, surgeons are trained to make the incisions in the most discreet areas possible, ensuring that the resulting scars are usually well-concealed. While scars are permanent, over time they flatten and their colour fades. Finally, yes, compression garments are typically required for at least a week after surgery. They help support the treated areas as well as minimize swelling. The garments can usually be easily concealed beneath most everyday clothing.

Liposuction Scars and Compression Garment Use

Thank you for your question.  Liposuction requires that very small incisions are made to allow the instruments to pass through the skin and into the layer of subcutaneous fat.  Whenever you cut skin, by definition you will trade it in for a scar in its place, but these typically fade quite nicely and with liposuction the incisions are generally only a few millimeters in length.  It does take quite some time for scars to reach full maturity and fade, but every patient is different and I recommend that my patients use BioCorneum twice a day to help reduce the visibility of them.  

To answer your question, age is on your side but genetics play the biggest role in determining how you will heal.  The good news is that most surgeons like to hide your incisions in easily concealed areas.  I recommend that my patients wear a light weight compression garments for four weeks following a liposuction procedure.  Please keep in mind, however, that each plastic surgeon will have his or her own specific post-operative protocol, which will include garment use or non-use, any recommendation to aide in scar healing, etc..., and you should defer to your operating surgeons recommendations.  I hope you find this helpful and best of luck!  

Liposuction Scars Are Discreet

It's true that liposuction involves making small incisions, but the resulting scars are quite small -- usually just a few millimeters. They're also easily hidden, especially for liposuction of the inner thighs. The time for the incisions to heal varies from patient to patient. Wearing a compression garment helps control swelling and produces the best possible results. Plastic surgeons all have their own preferences regarding how long to wear compression garments, and it is best to follow the instructions provided by your surgeon. I recommend that my patients wear the garments for about a month following the procedure, taking it off only when showering. I hope this information is helpful.

Arthur M. Cambeiro, MD

Does Liposuction Leave Scars?

Liposuction involves making a small incision on the affected area.The visibility or deepness of the scar is dependent on a variety of factors. One of them is your complexion. If it is dark the scars will look like a small white spots about 4 mm wide. The surgeon always tries to hide them, that means making the incisions in right placement. In most patients the scars became almost invisible with the time.
Scar treatment like cortisone or bleaching creams can be very helpful.
Hyperpigmentation or persistent redness can be treated with a laser.I ask my patients to wear special garment at least for three weeks.

Ercan Karacaoglu, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction scars

Thanks for your question. There will be a scar where the cannula is inserted. However, these scars are small and usually difficult to see.  

Francis X. Fleming, MD
Kennewick Plastic Surgeon

Small Scars

When patients undergo a liposuction procedure, small incisions are made to insert the liposuction cannulas.Although these incisions are initially red, they fade and are almost imperceptible by the time patients are one year post-op.

Liposuction Scars

Yes.  Your plastic surgeon will make tiny incisions allowing access for the liposuction cannula.  These incisions generally heal quite well and are placed in areas such as natural folds and creases to make them less visible and easily hidden with bathing suits and clothing.  Your plastic surgeon will demonstrate location for each incision based on the areas where you will be having liposuction,  Compression garments and/or Spanx will be worn after surgery.  Most patients need some type of supportive garment for a few weeks following surgery but this will vary from patient to patient.  

Richard A. D’Amico, MD, FACS
Englewood Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction scars

Liposuction scars are generally very small, and for many patients, hardly noticeable after healing.  I try to place the incisions in areas that are normally covered by clothing or "hidden" by natural creases in the body.  Compression is beneficial to liposuction surgery.  It is typically worn for 4-6 weeks, though time and type of compression vary patient to patient.  Good luck.

Mennen T. Gallas, MD
Katy Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction Scars and Need for Compression Garments

Scars for liposuction are tiny and usually placed where they are hidden whenever possible. For example they are often placed in the belly button, pubic hair line, in the groin crease, at the edge of a tattoo, in an existing scar, etc.

Regarding your question about compression garments after liposuction: A Compression Garment Necessary for Best Results following Liposuction The length of time is highly dependent on the amount of fat removed, the elasticity of your skin, presence of stretch marks, your age and race and other factors. Bottom line is follow your plastic surgeon's advice for the best outcome.

Here are the reasons why:
Following Liposuction compression garments are required for three main reasons:
It restricts the amount of edema that forms and hastens its resolution by mechanical pressure
It decreases the amount of bruising
It assists the loose skin in retracting or shrinking
It is common for weight gain due to edema and serum that collects in the area as well as the tumescent fluid that was injected. This will resolve over time. The more you wear the garment initially the quicker this fluid resolves.
The length of time that the garment is worn varies dependent on the amount of fat removed, the elastic nature of your skin, how much loose skin remains and other factors. Your surgeon would give you the best advise. However in general this is the routine for my patients.
The first garment should be fitted for you in the office prior to surgery and applied in the operating room. Often it will become loose as the edema is mobilized and then it will need to be replaced. Spanx is a reasonable compression  garment if it gives enough support and is the right size. I have my patents bring them in and confirm that it fits well.
Most important advise is to listen to your surgeon's advice as he best knows how much fat was removed, the elasticity that remains in your skin and amount of skin redundancy.
For most patients, I recommend my patients wear their garments for a minimum of 3 weeks full time then for 12 hrs (day or night). if not a lot of redundant skin following liposuction to a maximum of 6-12 weeksTo be effective the garment needs to fit snug but not too tight as to cause pressure problems (inspect your skin if discomfort and when skin is exposed), or prevent you from sleeping. As the edema resolves it is common for patients to switch to a smaller garment that fits - A Spanx type garment would work rather than ordering one or paying more at your doctor;'s office.