Liposuction on Arms: Fail Correction? (photo)

About a year ago I had liposuction performed on my arms. My right arm looks good, but my left arm was left with sort of a sunken hollow/pit (picture). This really bothers me, as it is very prominent and revealing. Obviously, I do not want people knowing that I have had liposuction done on my arms. Might this be because too much fat was removed in that area, and too little around, or what else might cause this? What can be done to fix this? Are there any methods for "evening" the fat? Thanks

Revision liposuction on the arms

I would suggest our Hidef Liposuction Revision Protocol for your arms which includes lipocavitation, liposculpture, Exilis skin tightening, and fibrous release. Best, Dr. KaramanoukianLos Angeles

Liposuction on Arms: Fail Correction?

This appears to be the delineation of the underlying triceps musculature, but this can certainly be fat grafted to make this less apparent.  If you decide you want a revision, find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of liposuction and liposuction revision procedures each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Revisions occasionally necessary after liposuction.

The depression might be treated by liposuction of the areas around it or fat grafting directly to the area in question. This depends on the etiology of the problem.

Fat grafting and liposuction

After liposuction it is possible to have a result were there is contour irregularity. A "dip" or sunken area is likely due to fat loss and this can be from the fat that was removed, or death of fat after the procedure due to the trauma caused by the liposuction. 

The solution is likely to be fat grafting and this will most likely result in a degree of improvement, although total resolution may be difficult to achieve.

The answer is to discuss the result with your surgeon and plan a solution

Jeremy Hunt

Contour Deformity After Arm Liposuction

Fat is an irregular substance with a poor blood supply.  If you sustain a blow to an area of fat or have an injection of medication in an area of fat, fat cells can die and produce an indentation in the fat.  Liposuction can also produce some areas of indentation.  Fat grafting can help correct an area such as you describe.  See your operating surgeon or consult with a plastic surgeon certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery for discussion of your options. 

Philip E. Fleming, MD

Liposuction on Arms: Fail Correction?

It is hard to know what caused this without seeing before photos. Whatever the cause, the problem is what it is. Best approach would be fat grafting to improve the contour irregularity. All the best.