Can I have Liposuction for my stomach if I have fibroids?

Fibroids Do Not Affect Liposuction Outcome

Liposuction and liposculpture only affect the superficial fat layer in the areas treated. Because the procedure is limited to the layers of fat underneath the skin and does not affect underlying organs, the presence of fibroids would not interfere with the procedure, nor would they be affected by it. Feel free to consult a board-certified dermatologist to find out how liposculpture can help reshape your body.

San Diego Dermatologist

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift…

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Yes and no

I think you're implying liposuction of your abdomen. The stomach is an internal organ that should never be touched with a liposuction cannula.

Mats Hagstrom, M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

Liposuction and Fibroids

Thank you for your question. Yes, the fibroids are under the abdominal muscles, and the fat targeted is above the abdominal muscles. I hope this helps!

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction candidate

Since liposuction is performed in the area between the skin and the muscles of your trunk, it is not a problem if you have fibroids, which are internal.

Liposuction with Fibroids

Yes, patients with fibroids should be able to undergo liposuction. Liposuction is done above the muscle (in the fat layer of the skin) and fibroids are below the muscle and would not interfere. If you are concerned, consult with both your gynecologist and board-certified dermatologist to determine if liposuction is the appropriate treatment for you. 

Kimberly Butterwick, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Liposuction with fribroid tumor

Yes, you may have liposuction with fibroid tumors. The liposuction will not be in the area of the tumors.  However, if you are anemic from the fibroid tumors, you may need them removed first and let your blood counts rise to normal levels.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

You should have absolutely no problems with undergoing lipo of the abdomen if you have fibroids. You need to make sure that your blood count is within normal limits prior to your lipo. Good luck

Liposuction and fibroids

Thank you for this interesting question.

I am not aware of any contraindications to liposuction in patients with uterine fibroids. I would discuss this with both a board certified plastic surgeon and your gynecologist.

Best Regards,

Dr. Stutman

Ross Stutman, MD

Body reshaping

There are multiple options including liposuction and now noninvasive therapy such as Cool Sculpting that can performed in the office.  Cool Sculpting can be performed on the Lower Abdomen and you have no incisions and can leave the office after it is complete.