Can I get lip injections every month (or every other month)? Or should I just get an implant? (photos)

I want my top lip to be the same size as my bottom lip, NOT smaller. I have gotten a half syringe, a full syringe and TWO syringes of filler into my top lip. The look is completely deflated after 1.5 -2 weeks. I don't think my doctors believe me, because I've never gone to a follow up appointment, but if I did, I would show them how small my lips are. I have also considered Permalip. I would gladly pay a doctor to inject my top lip every month, but would they do it?!

More Filler is Not Always Best!

Filling your lips every month seems excessive, as most hyaluronic fillers will last considerably longer than that. I suspect that the fullness you experience is from a mild swelling and from  the filler causing a mild inflammation by drawing in  water to the treated area. I would advise a different brand and possibly without  Lidocaine so that you can see the true enhancement. I usually advise patients not to love or hate their lip filler for at least 2 weeks so that these side effects resolve. Then you will be able to see the exact amount that is necessary to obtain your result.

San Juan Capistrano Physician

Lip Augmentation & Fillers

I would encourage you to book a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon. Your surgeon should be able to do a complete facial evaluation, offer options and help you develop a current and long-term facial aesthetic plan. Fillers are often combined with Botox, facial surgery and other treatments to obtain a more complete and natural facial enhancement.

Many types of filler products and procedures have been promoted including; collagen, hyaluronic acid, hydroxylapatite, fat transfer, silicone implants, GoreTex, etc. Different injectors will have their own experiences and preferences to review with you. There are several safe products available that should last a year or longer. Fat transfer is a surgical procedure that may give you a long-lasting result. Do not use silicone injections. Only use FDA-approved brands.

Get educated, make a good choice and enjoy your new look! 

J. Barry Boyd, MD

Frequency of lip augmentation

Having your lips injected every month is a little excessive, since the filler really should last longer than that.  Try a different hyaluronic acid (Restylane, Juvederm Ultra Plus) as they should last longer than 1 month.  The fullness you see initially is likely from the filler taking on water, with the true amount of filler visible after this first 2 week period.  You may need more filler volume to achieve the look you desire.

From an aesthetic standpoint, however, it really looks more attractive to have a slightly taller lower lip than upper lip.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Implant vs. Injection

Thank you for your question. I must suggest you see your physician before making any rash decisions. I would say that since they conducted the procedure they may have the best idea of how to reach the desired outcome from your desired state. Prolonged injections may not be a realistic long-term option in some circumstances.

Upper bigger lip

The materials used for lip augmentation are composed of hyaluronic acid, natural component of the  dermis. They hold 1000 times their weight in water.  That is the reason why immediately after injection the lips looks great but then they deflate.  Just go for more injections.

Maritza Perez, MD
New Canaan Dermatologic Surgeon

Lip injections vs Permalip

Both lip injections with hyaluronic acid fillers, such as Juvederm and Restylane and lip implants can achieve a fuller and natural appearing upper and lower lip.  Typically, fillers will last around 6 months in the lip.  Some patients, like yourself don't seem to maintain the desired volume that long and require multiple injections throughout the year.  Most people swell after lip injections and this resolves over 2 weeks, which is probably some of the volume that seems to have disappeared.  Most likely, you are still retaining some of filler, but not maintaining the look you desire.  Sometimes repeat injections with fillers eventually will build up and you will start retaining the volume longer.  I find that  the Permalip implant is a great option for patients like yourself that know they want a permanent augmentation of the lips and have difficulty maintaining that appearance with injections.  The Permalip lip implants are soft, flexible solid silicone implant that are placed along the wet dry border of the lip to give a fuller appearance to the lips. This implant is especially useful in giving the red lip more volume. I have found the Permalip implant to have a high patient satisfaction and low complication rate.   The procedure takes about a half an hour to  perform and is usually performed in the office with numbing injections.  Seeing a facial plastic or plastic surgeon that is experienced in both injections and the Permalip implants will be helpful in discussing these option so you can make the best decision that meets your goals.  

Jessica Kulak, MD
Fairfax Facial Plastic Surgeon